Vaginismus - What is it?

Vaginismus

We all know the first part of the word: Vagina.

But most people don't know what the whole expression means.

You could call it an illness, but I don't like the word, it sounds like there's something wrong with you.

I call it: a problem.

It's a problem which about 10% of all women have or have had in their life but only few know the expression "Vaginismus".

Every woman experiences this problem different.

From just a little bit of pain during sex to not being able to insert anything into their vagina, like a finger or a tampon.

Anatomically speaking: The vaginal muscles clench so hard that the woman isn't able to insert anything.

It's often caused by physical problems, like traumas or fears.

The sad thing: Only few women and almost no men know this problem exists.

When their girlfriend doesn't want to have sex because it's hurting, most men would just say: "Oh it's because she's just nervous" or "She's so tight, it was her first time"

And even women don't normally think it's a problem when it's just pain during sex.

But women where vaginismus is more serious begin to search for answers.

The same way as I did.

They will get an answer, but not a solution.

I'm not saying, that I will give you a solution, but I want to tell you about my way trying to find one.

This book is very personal.

I'm describing my feelings and my way of overcoming vaginismus.

I'm not yet there but I have made little steps into the right direction.

With this book I want to help.

Help women or girls who experience this problem and are feeling helpless.

Help men who have girlfriends, wives or even friends who are dealing with vaginismus.

Help myself with recording my long and not so easy way through this.

I want to give those people someone to talk to.

But most of all I want to raise awareness of this illness, it may be temporary but it caused many tears, many women giving up on sex or themselves and can be overcome, but only if it is known and accepted as an illness or a problem.