{Chapter} 4

{Chapter} 4

“Did you get it signed, Curtis?” Brant Alexander asked of Mark.

Mark grinned. “Oh, yes. It was much easier than I thought. Such a naïve woman.”

Brant and his other three partners smiled and examined the document. “It’s that easy?”

“No, not quite. She’ll put up a good fight, believe you me. We’re gonna have to ease her and the cowboys into this” Mark leaned back into his chair.

“How?” Brant asked.

“The cattle drive.”

Brant threw up his hands. “Nope. No. Not a chance. I’m not gonna go out there and bust my back with them stupid cows for ten percent.”

Mark sighed. “Fifteen?”

“Done.”

“You just wait” Mark smirked. “We’re gonna be filthy rich by the time this is over.”

**********

Erik was about to go crazy. He couldn’t handle his wife’s cry of pain every few minutes anymore. It had to be that two-bit doctor. He wasn’t doing something right.

“Come on, Erik. Sit down and relax” Wade told him.

Everyone was crammed into the front room of Erik and Toni’s house. Wade, Aubrey, Jay, Sandy, Rawhide, J.T., Tiny, Mark, and Adam. Katie was in the room with Toni, and the doctor had just arrived. Erik sat in a chair beside the fire. Just then, another wail of pain came from the room. All six men bolted to their feet for the umpteenth time.

“Would you guys stop this?” Aubrey complained. “The tension is bad enough on poor Erik without all of you pitching a fit every contraction.”

All of them sat back down.

“Erik” Aubrey’s voice softened. “Birth is a natural process. It happens many times a day. Toni is going to be just fine. Her contractions seem to be getting closer together so we can expect an outcome soon.”

Erik was still nervous.

“Shall we pray for the seventh time?” Wade asked.

Erik nodded.

Wade spoke a brief, sincere prayer “Erik!” Toni’s voice wailed. “Where’s Erik?”

Erik bolted to his feet again. Katie came from the room.

“Erik. She wants you,” she said.

“How is she?” Aubrey squeaked, revealing the nervousness that she had - not five minutes before - scolded the rest of them about.

“She’s fine. Everything looks about normal to the doctor,” Katie answered.

Erik went inside the room. Toni was a sight. Her hair stuck to her face and sweat beaded down her face. Her jaw line was strained and her eyes were wild. He hated seeing her like this.

“Hey, honey” he smiled weakly.

“I’m going to kill you,” she growled.

“I know” Erik sat beside her in a chair.

Another wave of pain came over her, and she wailed again. Erik winced as her cry pierced his ears. The pain passed after a few moments and she looked up at him.

“Don’t leave me,” she pleaded.

“I won’t leave you, honey” Erik took her hand in his.

Toni took a deep breath.

“That’s good, honey. Just breathe” Erik told her, rubbing her hand.