Dream

'Tuesday, May 11, 1915, 9.15 a.m. (really Wednesday the 12th. I had got wrong)

'We are within view of a well-known place [no doubt Ypres], and the place has been on fire in three or four places for about two days, and is still going strong. A magnificent spectacle at night. The place is, I believe, a city of ruins and dead, and there is probably no one to put a fire out. Probably, too, a fire is rather a good thing than otherwise; the place must be terribly in need of purifying.

'I was awfully interested in father's dream.* Your letter is dated the 8th, and you say that the other night he dreamt that I was in the thick of the fighting, but that they were taking care of me from the other side.

'Well, I don't know about "the thick of the fighting", but I have been through what I can only describe as a hell of a shelling with shrapnel. My diary tells me it was the 7th, at about 10.15 a.m. Our Company were ordered forward from one set of dug-outs to others nearer the firing line, and the formation adopted was platoons in single file, with intervals between. That is, four columns of about fifty men each, in single file, with about 20 to 50 yards between each column. I was the third platoon, though I was not with my own but with No. 9. Fletcher brought up the last one.

'Well, anyhow, we had not gone far before the gunners saw us, and an aeroplane was flying along above and with us. They sent over some "Johnsons", but these all went too far ; we were screened by a reservoir embankment. However, we had to pass through a ruined village and they knew it, so they put shrapnel over it. Still we were unaffected.

But when we came out into the open on the far side, we caught it properly. Shell after shell came over and burst above us, and when I and about three men behind me had just turned a corner one burst above, in exactly the spot I should have wished it to if I had been the enemy. I looked up and saw the air full of flying pieces, some large and some small. These spattered down ah 1 around us. I was untouched, but my servant, who was immediately behind me, was hit on the) knee, but only wounded slightly. He was rather scared. I led him back round the corner again and put him in a ditch. The rest of the platoon got in too, while I was doing this. I thought that was the best thing they could do until the shelling ceased, but Fletcher shouted that we must get on, whatever happened.

'So I called the men out again, and, leaving a man with the wounded, we set off. I don't believe it was right, but we just walked along. It felt rather awful. (When one is retiring it is important not to let the men "double", as they get out of hand ; but in this case we were advancing, so I think we might have done so.) I felt very much protected. It was really a miracle that we weren't nearly all "wiped out". The shrapnel seemed very poor stuff. As it was, we had one man killed, and about five or six injured, all more or less slightly.

'We moved up into a support trench that same evening, and after a couple of days we moved a few yards farther to these trenches, which are also support trenches. Things are very quiet, and I am enjoying myself very much. If it wasn't for the unpleasant sights one is liable to see, war would be a most interesting and pleasant affair. 

'My friends the other officers of C Company have given me the honorary position of "O. C. Works". One is always "O. C. something or other" out here all but the Colonel, he is "C. O." Orders for the day read: "O. C. Companies will do so-and-so". Then there are O. C. Details, O.G. Reinforcements, etc. "O. C." of course stands for "officer commanding". Well, I am "O. C. Works", and have a fine time. I just do any job I fancy, giving preference to trench improvement. It is fine to have at one's disposal a large squad of men with shovels (or without). They fill sandbags and carry them, they carry timber and saw it, and in short do anything that is required. One can accomplish something under these conditions.

'I am rather disappointed that we are going to-night, as Fletcher and I were going to rebuild our dug-out here. We both got very keen indeed and had laid out the plan carefully. (He has been an architect.)

'I had another disappointment when I was back in the wood (as supports). It reminds me of one of our Quartermaster-Sergeants in Edinburgh. He is an Irishman, O'Brien. I found him on the platform while we were waiting to see a draft off ; he looked very despondent. I asked him how he was, and was surprised when he replied, "I've had a reverse, sorr !" It turned out that he had applied to head- quarters for an improvement in his position, and was told he didn't deserve any. It had almost broken his heart.

'Well, I had a reverse. I was given the job of building a hut and was nearly through with it when we were ordered away. If we get back to the old wood again I shall go on with it, in spite of whatever the present tenants may have done in the way of completing it (our guns are now "going at it" hammer and tongs).

'I did enjoy laying the sandbags and building a proper wall with "headers" and "stretchers". I got a very good testimonial too, for the Sergeant asked me in all seriousness whether I was a brick-setter in civil life. I was awfully proud.

'Later

'(I had to leave off here because we were ordered to " fire-rapid " in between periods of our artillery fire, and I had to turn out to watch.)'

NOTE BY O. J. L.

The dream referred to, near the beginning of this long letter to his mother, Mr. J. Arthur Hill remembers that I told him of, in a letter dated May 7, 1915, which he has now returned ; and I reproduce it here:

'To J. A. H.

'May 7, 1915

'I do not reckon that I often have conscious intuitions; and when I have had vivid dreams they have not meant anything, though once or twice I have recorded them because I have them seldom. I happen, however, to have had an intuition this morning, before I was more than half awake, which, though not specially vivid, perhaps I had better record, namely, that an attack was going on at the present moment, that my son was in it, but that "they" were taking care of him. I had this clearly in mind before seeing the morning papers; and indeed I do not know that there is anything in the morning papers suggesting it, since of course their news is comparatively old. One might have surmised, however, that there would be a struggle for Hill 60, and I know that my son is not far off Ypres.

'O. J. L.'

I now (August, 1916) notice for the first time that the coincidence in time between dream and fact is rather good, especially as it was the only dream or 'impression' that I remember having during the war. Usually I do not dream. But as this incident raises the question of possible presentiment I must deny that we had any serious presentiment about Raymond. My wife tells me that her anxiety about Raymond, though always present, was hardly keen, as she had an idea that he would be protected. She wrote to a friend on March 22. 1915:

'. . . I ought to get him back safe. I have a hole in my heart and shall have till he comes back. I only saw him for the inside of an hour before he left, as I was away when he came home for six hours...'

--------------------

* See Note by O. J. L. at the end of this letter.