The Reaper Of Souls

I am not some spirit, made out of the emotions of the world. Nor am I a creation of any god. I was a human, a mortal. I used to know love, pain, sorrow, happiness, every emotion you can think of! But now... only darkness follows me, the souls of the damned forever haunt my existence. I, am a reaper, a reaper of souls. No doubt you know of their existence, everyone does. Some picture death, the grim reaper. But I am not like that, I look like an average person, human in every possible way. I live amongst you, walk past you in the crowd. You could not differentiate me from the next person. We are all the same on the outside. But on the inside, I am a cold, heartless spirit. This, is the story of how it all began.

I was a young man, foolish and naive. I was only 17 at this time. I had dark brown hair and a scruffy beard, I was about 6 feet tall. My name, I hardly remember it now, Mordecai. I had a young love as well, her name was Alexandra. She had the most beautiful long golden blond hair, her physique was perfect. I did not know much about her, and there were so many things I could not have even dreamt to believe were true about her. Every day I saw her, her beauty overwhelmed me. My feelings were strong but I had no courage to talk to her, after all, everyone "liked" her. She was the most beautiful in the village, she was of royal descent but because of a rebellion in her country she came here for safety. Finally one day i had enough courage to speak with her when she was out taking a walk.

"H-hello Alexandra!" I was so nervous, I was beginning to lose my head.

"What do you need, peasant?" 

"I just wanted to talk a little..."

"I don't have time to talk, more important things need my attention" She walked away without even a goodbye.

I didn't know how to respond, I was amazed she even talked to me! as my life continued I began to grow closer to Alexandra. I began to work for her family which is what really brought us closer, we would talk while I did things around the place. I learned a lot of things about her... but there was one thing I could not believe. One day I opened up and told her how I felt for her, she was shocked... but what was about to come was even more shocking. She gazed into my eyes, I was waiting for a response then she began to say something and stopped.

"I can't... I just can't! You won't understand!" She yelled at me.

"What do you mean! I haven't done anything wrong! Explain to me!" I pleaded.

"You wouldn't understand!" She continued on.

She ran away and it was a few days before she got into another conversation with me again. I was worried I had done something wrong and just didn't know what to do. Finally she called me over to her.

"What do you need?" I asked.

"I need to tell you something..." she replied.

"You can tell me anything!" I yelled.

"Shh! keep your voice down... you have to promise you won't tell anyone."

"I promise I won't."

"This may be hard for you to believe... but I am a dragon."

This was it, I was so stunned, I couldn't believe what she had just said! There was no way what she was saying was the truth. I began to laugh but she grasped my hands and looked me dead in the eyes. She was serious. I instantly stopped laughing, was what she was saying really true? I began to believe this was all a dream and that I was going crazy.

"I promise you I'm telling the truth." She assured me.

"You're a dragon? But you look like a human to me."

"This may be confusing, but there are a lot more dragons than just me. We can control what form we're in, we disguise ourselves amongst the humans. We try hide what we really are, if people found out they would kill us!"