Polar

Dark, damp, cold. The air was thick, despite the chill nipping at her exposed ears. Her head was heavy, weighed down by a dull, aching pain behind her eyes and a sharp sting on the back of her neck. She couldn’t see anything besides the dark object she rested on, which assuming from the earthy smell, must’ve been a tree. It was silent, besides the sound of her shallow breathing. She couldn’t remember anything- who she was, where she was, why she was there, and why she was hurt. All she wanted was to sleep, but the chill was keeping her awake. Something bad had happened, and she was feeling the aftermath.

                “What in God’s name?” She heard from beside her. She jumped and took a sharp breath. Something, someone, next to her moved. “Why are you looking at me like that?” The person, who sounded like a female, asked.

                “I’m not looking at you at all, I can’t see.” She responded to the person, annoyed.

                “That’s weird, I can see you…” The girl didn’t sound scared. “Phoebe, what’s going on? Do you remember anything?”

                “Phoebe? Is that me?”

                “Not funny.”

                “I’m serious.”

                “Oh.” The girl was silent. “I don’t remember anything except for my name. Also, I know who you are. My sister, Phoebe. Running, screaming, falling, and red eyes. That’s all I remember.”

                “I don’t remember anything at all.” Phoebe said, confused, before thoughts began rushing to her. Running, a blonde girl tripping behind her, something attacking her as she screamed at Phoebe to go, to run, and that’s it.

                “Well, I’m Aislinn, your sister. Your twin.” The girl said, and Phoebe realized she was very close, but up higher, probably crouching. “I don’t know how I found you, but my instincts showed me the way. Something’s happened, something really weird, and probably bad. I don’t remember except that I have to find him. My instincts are leading me somewhere, so that’s-“

                “Find who?” Phoebe interrupted.

                “The… the boy…” Aislinn sounded like she was struggling. “I know his name, they told me, I just can’t remember. Maybe it’ll come back to me. But I can see his face, clear as day in my head. We have to find him as soon as we can.” Phoebe began to sit up, head throbbing.

                “Well, what do we do?” She asked, the pain becoming sharper.

                “I think we should wait until morning to do anything.” Aislinn concluded. “You look hurt. I was hurt too, but I healed on the way to come find you. They must’ve gotten you worse, or something.”

                “Who are ‘they’, though?” Phoebe questioned.

                “That’s what I’m hoping the boy can tell us.” Aislinn sighed. “But for now, we should atleast try to sleep. Something tells me whoever attacked us did it for a reason. I think sleeping could help us remember.” She put her head up against the tree with a grunt.

                Phoebe’s mind was a fog. She placed her head down carefully, trying to sleep. Her confusion startled her. She had a twin sister named Aislinn. Someone had attacked them, separating them, but Aislinn found her. Now they had to find some mysterious unnamed boy. She would the pieces of information, the only things in the world she could remember, up in her mind like a ball of string, tightly, praying that she wouldn’t lose them. She thought she’d be awake for hours, but sleep came to her quickly, like a heavily crashing wave.