Chapter 4 No Pain, No Gain

I've had my share of heart ache before. Connor was definately not my first love. I have had tons of guys before that would mistreat me terribly, and leave me in a rollar coaster of emotions. Guys who had girlfriends and were straight, but were in the closet and sought me out as someone vulnerable who could keep a secret. Guys who were gay, but weren't looking for someone too serious.

Either way, in the end I was left heartbroken.

I was sitting on the porch, reading Isabelle's Boyfriend, and I must have been openly weeping about Connor because my Mom came out and sat with me. She sat beside me and we were both quiet for a moment, I had stopped reading my book and looked at her from above the cover. 

She patted my knee. "Whoever she is, she doesn't deserve you," She said, smiling at me. Although my Mom had been desperately trying to be close to me, the fact that she still didn't know I was gay only drew me farther away. I gave her a weak smile. She must've felt my need to be alone, because she mussed my hair, got up and left.

I was about to continue reading my book before she popped her head out the door. "By the way, there's a library not too far away from here. You can borrow my car and drive down there if you want," She said, holding the keys in her hand.

I beamed. I got up and grabbed the keys from her hands. "Thanks Mom," I said with a big smile. She laughed and went back into the house, setting herself on the Couch.

It was around 12 p.m, so the library had to be open. I walked to the Nissan and unlocked the door, sliding inside the front seat and putting the key into the ignition.

***

I was going to drive to the library, but I saw a Mall which probably had some cool clothes I could wear. I parked in the Mall's parking lot, and got out of the car, locking the doors behind me. I walked towards the mall, where it had the names of the big stores outside. JCPenny's, Sears, Forever 21. I was about to walk inside the mall when I saw a boy outside, sitting on the ground smoking a cigarette.

The boy had brown shaggy hair that gleamed in the sun. He had the most beautiful blue eyes and had nice fit arms. He wore a black tank top with a white button down shirt tha was open, with skinny jeans and All Star Converses. He was beautiful. He smiled up at me when he caught me staring.

He reached into his pocket and took out a pack of Marlbro Lights. He handed them out to me. "Want a cig?" He asked rather nicely. I looked around me to see if he was talking to someone else.

"Sure," I said, taking his pack and taking a cigarette out. The boy patted the sidewalk next to him, motioning for me to sit. I sat down and he gave me a lighter. I lit my cigarette and I sucked in. I then coughed. 

He laughed. "Aw man, did I give you your first cigarette?" He asked. I laughed too, shaking my head.

"No, I just haven't had it in a long time," I said, eyeing the cigarette the god-like boy had given me. I looked over at him, and extended a hand. "Jacob Evans."

"Lyric Hill," He said, flashing a brilliant smile. He took another hit on his cigarette and blew out the smoke. "Usually I don't hang out random cigarettes to boys just hanging around the mall, usually they're all huge douchebags. But you seem pretty cool."

"I've heard," I said. Lyric then flashed his electrifying smile at me once again, and laughed. A man then walked past us in a suit, but stopped when he saw we were smoking. He frowned at us.

"You know that's illegal right?" He asked. The man was probably in his 40's, and time had not been kind to him.

"You know your face is illegal right?" Lyric countered, smiling up at him. The man's face flushed, and he stormed off. Lyric and I burst out laughing, and Lyric then stood up and threw his cigarette to the floor, stamping it out. He then looked down at me. "You new here?"