She's a Man?!

• Dedicated to To my cousin :)

"You're overreacting," I told my best friend, Jennifer.

Two weeks ago on Fiona's birthday, her parents got her two tickets to see her favorite band, Tokio Hotel, and she wanted me to go with her. I promised her I'd get my older brother, Danny, to give us a ride but he was never available since he was away at college and I completely forgot afterward. According to Jennifer, the concert is tomorrow.

"You promised, Amber! I told my parents that they could go on their vacation since I had a ride and now I have no way to get there!"

"I can still convince Danny, I'll talk to him as soon as I get home," I reassured her, "Have I ever broken a promise before?"

"Well, now that you've mentioned it--yes."

I whipped my head around to stare at her. That was not the answer I was expecting. For the first time that whole morning I noticed Jennifer's hair was curled. That was rare since her hair is abnormally straight and whenever she tries any other style with it, it goes back to normal in an hour. I envy Jen's hair, it's so black it looks a midnight blue.

"Yes?" I said incredulously, "I've always kept my promises!"

"Two months ago on my sickbed you 'promised'  you'd walk my dog for me and you bailed out on me at the last minute. My mom had too take to over at the last minute, Laddie wasn't happy."

"I told you a sudden task needed my attention." I said shooing my hand to dismiss her words.

Jennifer stared me down with her wide brown eyes and I glared right back. Two can play at this game and I wasn't about to back down and she knew this. Finally she shook her head and rubbed her forehead, "Please don't mess this up for me, Amber. I swear if you ruin this you will die--"

"Hold that thought!" I gasped.

My body relaxed and I allowed myself to lean against the locker. Across the hallway Austin Rios was coming out a classroom and laughing with another boy next to him. His light brown, shaggy hair was hanging just above his striking blue eyes. Even from here I could hear his melodious laughter.

To be honest, I think Austin's shy. Every time I speak to him he gets all weird and hurries away--the obvious sign of a crush. I just need to let him know I like him too, then he'll ask me out. With both our good looks we'll be the power couple of this school. I mean, I don't mean to brag--alright I do, but with my long, black hair that I bet all models would die over and my light catlike-green eyes I don't look half-bad.

"Hi, Austin!" I greeted him as he and his friend walked by Jen and I. 

Austin turned and looked at me as if he's never seen me before in his life and lifted up a rigid hand and waving it. He gave me an uneasy smile and said, "Oh, hey Amber."

Aww, he's so cute!

He nodded toward Jennifer and disappeared from sight. I looked toward her, admiration still in my eyes, "As soon as he asks me out we will be golden."

"The chances of Austin asking you out are about the same as Tom Kaulitz falling in love with me when he sees me in the audience tomorrow."

"Then it looks like you have a pretty good chance at Tom," I paused and held my hands up as if making a box, "Imagine it, Austin and I walking side-by-side into the school. Looks good, right?"

"I can't. Your ego is blocking the image," she said, walking past me and into the classroom.

I rolled my eyes and followed her into our homeroom. There was already a scrawny boy sitting at my seat. His black hair looked unkept, there was bags under his eyes that looked like he hadn't slept in days. He was wearing a leather jacket, I guessed it was to hide the wrinkled, stained clothes underneath--as if it would help, he didn't even zip it up right and you could clearly see his repelling clothes. He was looking down at the wooden desk like it was so fascinating.

"Who is he, and why is he sitting at my seat?" I growled to Jennifer. 

She shrugged, "I'm ninety-five percent positive he's new. That, or I've never noticed him before and that's pretty impossible."

I sighed and walked down the aisle to him. He didn't even see when I approached, he was staring so intensely at the desk. "Excuse me," I snapped, tapping my fingers on the desk. He looked up at me with a start. "See that desk you're sitting in? That's my seat. So if you could kindly get up," I said trying to keep myself from yelling at him, since he was new he obviously didn't know yet.

"Right! Sure!" the boy said, getting up hastily and moving to the next available seat.

What I didn't know is that boy would change my life forever.