Saving Hope

∞∞∞

ღ CHAPTER 22 

∞∞∞

We arrived at the club within ten minutes. Alex was gripping my seat as I drove, poking his head in between the front seats. He tried to coax James into spilling the information, but his eyes never left the road. I didn't consider myself to be a dangerous driver, but at that moment I saw nothing but the blur of color and lights as I built speed exceeding the limit.

Thankfully, very few cars passed by. By the amount of my seat shaking every time I took a sharp turn to avoid slamming into something, I could sense how tense Alex was, holding onto it as if there were nothing else.

I pulled up in the back, sparing a glance at the parked cars in the front. The fight must had finished, but hardly anyone left.

''Remind me to never let you drive again,'' Alex groaned. I patted him on the shoulder as he hopped out of the car, stumbling from a rush of dizziness.

''You okay?''

''Girl, you've played Need for speed too much.'' He extended his neck, grabbing his shoulders in an awkward angle.

''I'm glad you enjoyed the ride, Lexie. Now man up and call your brother, he should've been here already.''

''I thought he was waiting for us outside,'' James spoke. He jogged to us, scanning the perimeter. I wondered if he could see anything beyond the pitch black forest surrounding us. Only the gym's entrance was illuminated by street lamps, I had to leave the car lights on to see where we were standing.

''This is weird. Super weird,'' Alex mumbled. ''Are you sure it was Caden who called you?'' He looked at James expectantly.

''It was his voice,'' James retorted, a hint of annoyance ringing in his voice. One thing I learned about him in the short time we spent together, was that he didn't trust people, yet was offended when being doubted.

Alex didn't notice, or at least didn't show it, and fished out his phone. I saw the back door opening and a figure running into the darkness.

I bolted, going as far as I could see where I stepped on. ''Caden?''

''You should know better than to run to a stranger,'' he growled. His arms were around me in a flash. I pulled him into the light and scanned his body for any injuries, frowning at bloodied knuckles and torn shirt.

''Caden,'' I whispered into his chest as he pulled me into a bear hug, ''you're okay.'' I looked up to meet his eyes, noticing a small cut above his eyebrow.

''You were doubting me?'' His lips spread into a lopsided smirk. ''You know you can't blame me. Did you win?''

His eyes darkened, breaking the contact. I squirmed out of his arms and palmed his face, wanting nothing more than a slow passionate kiss as I stared as his lips.

''He won.''

His disappointment made my heart skip a beat. The world slowed down and for a moment, just a moment, I forgot about Grace. She had Aiden, but Caden only had me.

''Hey, it's okay.'' I rubbed his arms, feeling his tense muscles still quivering from exhaustion. He didn't say anything, refusing to look at me.

''I... I know it meant a lot to you, but you've got to let go. Just because he won doesn't mean he's a better fighter. And, to be honest, I prefer you standing here in one piece rather than sitting by your side in hospital as I watch you writhe in pain.''