Summary

(None of the pictures used belong to me, but I made the edits)
Nuclear war decimated most of Earth over a hundred years ago, and only the lucky parts of what was once Europe survive as dry land.
When the first people began to die of disease, hunger, or merely old age, they didn't stay down long. The dead began to rise rapidly and set upon the remains of humanity like a plague. Even now, after a selfish King arose from the ashes while the population was vulnerable and began the reign that his descendants still carry on, anyone who dies will certainly return.
For as long as Abigail Henry can remember, she's been running for her life. Even when her parents were alive, she and her brother were ushered along, from lean-to to lean-to, abandoned apartment to refugee camp. But they always found her. The uniformed men with enormous guns, always looking for Abbie, or more precisely, her hair. Just like she was always running, her hair was always hidden. The enormous shock of red curls that she'd had since she was born was always tucked up in a hat or a hood. Never let them see it, her parents taught her. Never let them know. Now that she's older, taking care of her ailing brother, she knows why. The King wants a cure, and his scientists need to figure out how to get it. They need her DNA, the DNA of one of the last redheads alive. And her blue eyes make her even more of a target. But New Berlin is big, and Abbie is a career criminal with a knack for camouflage.
Atlas Feigner, the youngest royal prince, is different. His moral compass always pointed opposite of his family, he is incapable of cruelty. And so, living among the monsters cloaked in human flesh that he is forced to call brothers has left him with no choice. He must leave. With the help of some loyal servants, Atlas scales the wall that encloses the Palace and joins the general population disguised as a pauper, determined to make it to New Paris, where the Resistance is rising.
In New Paris too is the concentration of Anomalies, children and young adults who escaped capture and fortified themselves against the Royal Guard, safe in their numbers. Abigail's brother, Claudius, though sick with a crippling birth deformity, insists Abigail go there. And with much convincing, she decides they must leave, as safe havens in New Berlin are starting to run out.
When privileged prince, a wanted commoner and her dying brother cross paths, it is up to them to get to New Paris together... Or die trying.