Chapter 5

Disclaimer: Paramount Studios and the estate of Gene Roddenberry own copyright of all things Star Trek. The original plot is my own as are any characters created specifically for this story. 

The ship rocked with the impact, the IDF unable to compensate sufficiently. The shields were being drained dangerously by the repeated vicious assaults. Flight was the only sensible course, but then he'd never been overtly sensible. Will Riker could testify to that he thought grimly, 'If I ever get to see him again!' He returned his attention to the current desperate situation. 'Full power to the shields!' He cursed. 'Engineering I need more shields!' He duck as a shower of sparks burst from Tactical. 'You've got all I have sir!' Growling he spat; 'I need more!' The reply was urgent, 'Sorry sir!' 

'Damn! Helm, full about, course 180 mark 4. Warp 9. Get us the hell out of here! Now! Tactical, lay a spread of photon torpedoes across their bows, maximum yield. That should slow them down some! I hope!' He sat back in the command chair as his orders were carried out. Hoping that his actions were enough. It seemed they had been. After a brief attempt at pursuit, their attacker dropped back, allowing them to escape in safety. 

As he slumped deep in thought he was interrupted by a quiet cough to his right. He turned to his first officer expectantly. 'Yes, Number One, what is it?' 

'Damage assessment from all decks now in sir.. And casualty figures.' He sat stunned. It had been so long since.. And yet, the phrase seemed so hauntingly familiar. His mind flashed back to the Cardassian border incursions, his ship ablaze, limping home from yet another encounter. Ambushed by three Cardassian Galor Class warships. Most of his command crew dead or injured, the bridge manned mainly by ensigns fresh out of the Academy. There had been seven Star Crosses, six Legions of Honour, and four Medals of Honour awarded that day. All of them posthumously. Not for the destruction of the warships either, but for saving the lives of their comrades trapped in burning sections of the ship, or preventing further deaths by remaining at their posts when such action was known to mean certain death. 

'Er, sir', his first officer, also a veteran of the same conflicts, was wary of interrupting his reverie, and very loath to do so. He snapped himself out of it. Dwelling on the past now would not help, and may even kill the present crew. 'Yes Number One, the figures', he waited dreading the response. 'Sir we escaped materially lightly. The shields have taken a severe battering and will require about three hours to recalibrate and restore to full power. Photon Torpedo Tube One was hit and will require two hours repair time. And decks five through sixteen have all sustained light to moderate damage where the shields began to break down.' He paused.  

'Yes, you said 'materially lightly'. What about personnel? Don't spoon feed me, dammit!' DeSoto was angry. 'Er, no sir. In total we lost twenty-one crew, six from engineering, three from medical.. And twelve from security.' He looked up to the tactical station. The ship's security chief was stood looking forward to the viewscreen to the front, but seeing nothing. There was a grim set to his jaw that they all knew, recognized, and sympathized with. They pitied the next man to cross this angry young officer. 

The first officer continued slowly, addressing himself to the security officer. 'You should know this. That all your staff behaved in an exemplary fashion, and that the loss of life was incurred as a direct result of their attempts to save the lives of their comrades in arms.' 

'No they died at the hands of a cowardly Cardassian!' came the response, in words of granite, between gritted teeth. The captain stood, walked forward and turned. He faced them all, hands clasped behind his back. 

'All decks, this is the Captain. Stop what you are doing and listen. As you are aware we have just taken part in an armed conflict. During which it is my sad duty to report that we incurred the loss of twenty-one of your comrades. Let it be known, and recorded in the Ship's Log of this date, that they died, without exception carrying out acts of heroism above and beyond the call of duty, in the majority of cases attempting to save the lives of others of you. And it is in this way that we will remember them.