Part Three

The pair traded blows and circled around for a time, gauging each other's skill, keeping Piso's hope of Asellus winning alive. To Piso's delight, the retiarius began well, striking with his trident early on and drawing blood from Celadus' left calf. Celadus' response was savage, pushing Asellus backwards with a flurry of short charges. He let out a triumphant cry during the last as Asellus skidded and tumbled onto his arse. Although the retiarius managed to convert the fall into a roll and get to his feet again, Celadus' sica flashed in, opening a long, shallow cut on his back. The crowd bellowed in appreciation. Celadus didn't follow up on his success, however, and Piso came to the unhappy realisation that the thraex was playing with the retiarius. Like as not, his money was lost.

Undeterred, Asellus managed to snare the thraex soon after, but the net didn't envelop Celadus' sword arm. Asellus tried to spear his opponent nonetheless, even as Celadus was swarming forward, sica at the ready. Asellus had to beat a hasty retreat in order not to be gutted, in the process losing his net. Celadus halted, stripped the knotted mesh from his helmet crest and hurled the thing behind him, to the far side of the arena. 'Give up now!' he roared.

Asellus must have known that his chances of winning were fast vanishing, but he was a brave man. He responded with an obscene suggestion and a savage lunge of his trident.

Celadus ducked to the side and darted forward, slamming his shield into Asellus' belly. The whoosh of air leaving Asellus' lungs was audible from Piso's seat. Despite being winded, he did not fall, but staggered backwards, somehow keeping his trident between him and Celadus. Angry, the thraex swatted at the pronged weapon, but Asellus kept raising and lowering it to prevent it being smashed. He tried next to move towards his net, but Celadus saw his purpose and blocked his path.

By unspoken consent, the two took a short break to catch their breath. Insults and demands for blood rained down from the audience, and Celadus resumed the fight to loud cheers. Expert at deflecting Asellus' trident up by angling his shield just so, he made a series of darting lunges under the weapon's shaft, each time thrusting his sica at the retiarius' belly, flank or legs. Without his net, Asellus was forced to retreat from each attack or risk suffering serious injury, and his luck ran out in the end. Blood spattered the sand as Celadus' blade sliced open his right thigh. Asellus bellowed with pain, and shuffled backwards.

Swift as a hound on a deer, Celadus was after him. Clack. Clack. His sica hammered off Asellus' trident, which was still keeping them apart. Clack. With a mighty swing of his right arm, Celadus whipped the sica upwards, forcing the trident into the air and exposing Asellus. Celadus charged forward, punching his shield into the retiarius' midriff for the second time. Down went Asellus onto the flat of his back, Celadus stamping the trident from his grasp as he landed.

The legionaries thundered their approval. Vitellius glanced at Piso, who affected not to notice. Thank the gods I only wagered one denarius, he thought.

Asellus didn't try to resist any longer. Wounded, down, with Celadus' blade touching his throat, he had no chance. Of even more concern, plenty of men wanted him to die – the chant of 'Iugula! Kill!' was echoing around the amphitheatre.

Piso didn't join in. It wasn't just because he'd bet on Asellus – the man had fought to the best of his ability. He deserved another chance.

Asellus lifted his right hand high, the two first fingers pointing at the sky in the gladiator's request for mercy. A chorus of jeers and taunts met his appeal. 'Kill him!' demanded one of the legionaries who'd been chased out of the arena. 'Go on!'

Pounding hobs shook the timber flooring. Hundreds of men jabbed their thumbs at their throats, and the shouting grew even louder. 'Iugula! Iugula! Iugula!' A small number of soldiers were calling for mercy, Piso among them, but they couldn't be heard.