03. dress

AURORA THOUGHT that Joshua Matthews was kidding when he said that he was going to make her like him whether she wanted it. He wasn't joking.

For the next two weeks and possibly forever, Josh made it his personal goal to make her like him. For an example, he would smile at her and wink at her every time he caught her glance, he would offer free school rides, he even offered to carry her books to class, but each time he did something, she would either reject him, make a comment, or simply ignored him. But each time she rejected him, he always came back

It wasn't ruining her mood, but every time she entered the classroom, almost every single girl would give her a glare or have a little chat with her, telling her to 'back off of their lovely Joshy-kins'. 

"Why is it that almost every girl gives me a mean looking stare now?" Aurora asked one day at lunch time. Eva laughed loudly and slapped her bestfriend's shoulders.

"You're funny, Rory." Eva pretended to wipe off a fake tear from her cheek as she giggled. Aurora gave her a blank look and squinted her eyes.

"Oh, you seriously don't know?"

"Well yeah, that's why I asked the question." She replied sarcastically.

"Well Joshua Matthews is being all sweetheart to you. You're receiving his daily attention, and frankly that's what a girl wants – well except me of course, you and Josh are OTP." Eva retired and clasped her hands together.

"OTP? No, it's more like NOTP. Besides, they can take him for all I care."

"Talking about me, I see."

"Honestly I'm busy right now, can you go bother someone else?" Aurora looked up and saw that Josh and his other bestfriends – Alex and Asher were right behind him with their trays and everything.

"Now why would I do that?" Josh gave another wink to Aurora and sat right next to her, Alex sitting next to him, and Asher sitting right next to Eva.

"He likes you." Asher said quietly after a few silent minutes. Alex looked like he was going to choke from laughing too much, and Eva dropped her banana she was eating and it landed on the floor smushed. Aurora observed Josh and noticed his cheeks had a pink tinge to them.

"I can't really say the same about him." Aurora shrugged.

"Oooh ouch, she rejected you, better luck next time buddy." Alex gave a pat on his friends shoulder. "Now can we leave? Honestly Motormouth here," he nodded his head in Aurora's direction, "does not appreciate our existence, and she looks like she wants to cut our balls off, so let's just head to our original table and we should all go back to how everything was before. Deal? Alright, let's go!"

She watched as Alex grabbed the back of Josh's Nike hoodie and pulled him along, and Asher was about to follow them but pulled something out from his backpack, he handed Eva another banana and went to follow his friends. Aurora slumped back in to her seat.

"I thought they would never leave!"

"Relax, they're gone now, take deep breaths. Count to ten, imagine your favorite mint chocolate chip ice cream. Just breathe." Eva soothingly patted her bestfriends back and sipped on her kiwi-strawberry juice pouch.

–✧–

AURORA DIDN'T mind the fall weather at all. She found herself walking home after school that evening, her brown boots making a light tap against the wet concrete ground. She pulled her coat closer to her body to create more warmth, and her scarf was wrapped around her neck.

As she approached her creme colored home, she noticed her moms white Audi parked in the driveway. She grabbed her house keys from her backpack and unlocked the main door to her house, rubbing her wet boots against the welcome mat.