Chapter 14: Genius

Chapter 14

Harry's point of view

“Nice place,” Louis commented with a smile as he looked around the convention centre.

Harry sighed, “We're not here to enjoy the place Lou, as much as I'd like to. We're here to help make some of the most important decisions in the history of the world.”

That wiped the smile of Louis' face, and he nodded slowly. But then he brightened. “You sound way too much like James, Harry. Just chill out a little bit. We're meant to be on holiday, in theory, right? So enjoy yourself a little!” Louis was munching his way through the tray of food he'd acquired from the nearby table.

James had invited the band to send representatives to this conference. It's purpose was to discuss the issues involved with regard to letting the world know that superpowers existed. 'Going public' was the shorthand phrase most people here used to refer to that future event. It's better than calling it 'coming out' I suppose, thought Harry with a grin. The conference was being held in the Brisbane convention centre, both to be near to the base in Australia, and because the base itself didn't have big enough facilities to host a conference of this size. James had arranged with Paul for the band to have some time off so that Harry and Louis could attend this conference. The other leaders of James' organisation were in attendance, as were a lot people without powers who were apparently experts of various kinds in their fields. Harry suspected they were the people James employed to run the African countries he controlled. Harry thought there might also be some government people attending from the Australian and US governments, but he wasn't sure. The other conference attendees were currently mingling in small groups around the room and around the food tables.

“Hi boys! How are you finding it?” asked Grant Wells, as he came over to stand beside Harry and Louis in the corner. It's nice to see him again, thought Harry. Harry had only seen Grant a few times since the month they had spent in France learning to use their powers. It's been more than a year, Harry realised. We really should have kept in touch better. We both live in London, so there's no excuse.

“It's all a bit overwhelming really,” Harry replied, honestly. “I came here thinking that telling the world that superpowers existed could be done in a day on TV and then everything would be all good. I guess I didn't think it through.”

Grant smiled and rubbed his hand through his hair. “It's a lot to think about, I know. But bear in mind that it's your future being decided here, far more than mine. You young guys are going to have to live your entire lives in a world where superpowers are public. It's only right that you guys have a hand in deciding what you want that world to be like.”

Harry nodded slowly. That's good in theory. In practice we're probably the most ignorant people here. We hadn't even thought about it until we arrived.

Louis' point of view

Louis moved his bum back and forth on the seat, getting comfortable. Although, they are nice seats, it would probably be comfortable however I sat. But best to get comfy now, so I can listen carefully. Zayn had burst out laughing when Louis had put himself forward as a candidate to attend this conference on behalf of the band. Apparently Zayn thinks I can't be sensible and pay attention. Louis was determined to prove him wrong. Plus this is all about politics, and I know lots about that from talking to Eleanor. Hmm, maybe I could have brought her? Turned this into a date as well?

James stood up, ready to start the session, and silence fell. Louis grinned when Melissa Taylor also stood and moved to stand beside the whiteboard. James' attempt at using the whiteboard earlier in the day had prompted Melissa to volunteer to write things for him in order to make sure the writing was legible to the audience.