Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

I WALKED OUT OF the throne room so weakly I must've looked dead. The Piscean guards didn't seem to bother. I wasn't sure whether I should go straight to West Seventh or look for Osh and Haran first. I wasn't particularly excited to see my mum and Eoin after what they've agreed to, but I wasn't exactly sure what to say to Osh and Haran either.

I made a quick decision and decided to come to the Venn outskirts first. They would likely be in our usual station just near the Venn's gates by the bridge. I looked behind me to check if I the throne room door was closed, and to see if Alaric was following me. Door closed, no prison guard.

As I walked close to the steel gates, I saw Jarel just as he saw me, his body shaking away from the pillar he was leaning on, as if his favourite actor were about to step out from the Diamond. The guard inside opened the door for me. As I stepped out, Jarel followed me along, but I wasn't sure what he wanted. I didn't feel like talking so we remained quiet. We've covered a few trudges almost to the bridge to The Venn until Jarel broke the silence.

"Jem," he said sternly.

I turned my head to face him, following my quiet and easy steps. "Hey?"

"What happened?" He asked, his silver eyes examining me with unease.

"Why are you asking?" I said curiously.

For a second, he looked at me like I was mental – and maybe I was, a little bit. His eyes changed from questioning to serious as he continued. "I saw the guards flood in, so I thought they killed you or something."

It wasn't like I had to hide it from him. Everyone in Fiskarnir ought to know in a few days. What with having a Caprician tail me around from now on, and what with my family living in the Diamond.

I sighed out of nowhere. I don't need to tell him anything – he will find out soon enough. "It's nothing, Jarel. Or should I call you Ser Jarel?" I asked. "I don't really know how to address Leons, since I've never been to Haldr before," I said continuously, trying to change the topic.

"Just call me Jarel," he replied firmly.

"You don't have to follow me around," I said matter-of-factly. "I know my way around."

"I'm sorry – did you want me to leave?" Jarel said. I wasn't sure if his job just bored him or what, but his enthusiasm with following me around was rubbing me the wrong way.

"I do not say this in rudeness, but you seem keen to follow me around," I said, stopping on my tracks so we could talk. "Can I help with anything?" I offered.

Also, I did not want to get on the bad side of a Leon or anything – with Leon's being able to lift almost three times their weight easily, I would be more likely to die from an uppercut from a Leon than say, whatever Allo can do.

This was Celesta's normal. You had to be aware of the abilities of other people so you can react to them properly. Out of all the countries, I'd say the Virgans would be the safest company to keep. Them being able to talk to animals made them the best tamers and riders, and the best company – because you didn't have to worry about them being lethal or something. I also liked Taurans – you may think beast-men are terrifying, but they are the mildest people. They do get aggressive when you do them wrong, but that's not exactly a wrong reaction to begin with. The races, if you will, that one should be careful of would be a cross between Arians, Scorpians, and Leons. These three had always been warfare powerhouses. Arians being naturally good with metal weapons, Scorpians in their martial poise, and Leons with their strength and bravery... and fire.

"I was thinking about what you said and getting myself into the mission boards," he said.

"I can't do anything about that on my own – but I may be able to get your name in there," I said, thinking I could give word to Osh. It was the Arians in control of the command in the south ever since they've mobilised to defend this side of the continent.