Chapter Three| The Invitation

"Paige, you actually waited at my locker." I say, turning the numbers on my lock for the combination.

"I told you I would." She laughs nonchalantly.

"So I'm guessing you needed to ask me something?" I ask suspiciously. Throwing my history and calculus textbook into my locker, I grab another binder and place it into my backpack. Stupid teachers with their binder requirements.

"Do you have secret psychic powers I wasn't informed about?" I roll my eyes and raise my eyebrows expectantly. "I wanted to ask you if you wanted to come to my party Friday night."

My eyes light up and I smile. "This Friday? Who's going to be there?"

"Hopefully only half our grade but to be honest we'll probably have nearly a quarter of the school. There are a lot of freshman and non-inviters that crash the parties." She shrugs, handing me an invitation.

I guess this wasn't the first party she was throwing. "I'll be there, even if it requires my leaving through the window," I smirk.

"You've snuck out before?" There's a hint of shock in her voice.

I wasn't usually assumed to be the 'goodie good' type of person. This was actually the first time someone ever took me as one.

"Yup, how do you think I had fun this summer?" I wink and lock my locker.

"Did you do anything illegal?"

"Depends on what you consider illegal?"I eye her curiously. Doing illegal things wasn't really my cup of tea, but knowing Paige she may have meant something else.

She shuffles from one foot to the other, avoiding eye contact with me. "Like smoke weed...."

Okay I guess I was completely off on her state of thinking. "Hell no!" I yell a bit too loudly.

A few people that were still lingering at their lockers were now staring at us like we were freaks. Considering the day I've had, maybe they were right.

I sigh in frustration and turn back to her. "I don't do that kind of stuff. I may drink once in a while but-wait a second, do you do that stuff?" I could feel a slight headache coming on. Why am I always with the wrong crowd?

"Not really. Well I used to do it a lot but I'm starting to quit." She shrugs and we start walking towards the bus loop. "There shouldn't be any drugs at the party. I made it pretty clear to everyone that's invited so please come."

I stand there for a moment, considering the situation. If I go I could make some new friends and possibly get to know the clique better but I could also get arrested if they get caught with any drugs. Which would make my mom more irritated then she was this summer.

This summer. I shake my head and focus back to Paige. There was no time for flashback memories. "Alright I'll be there but if the cops bust on us I'm totally going to kill you." I answer as I climb the bus steps and select an empty seat. Paige sits next to me.

When I got home from school the house was abnormally silent, which was weird because my mother's car was in the driveway. Paige's invite still burned in my hands. Getting my mom to actually approve of me going out again after a reckless summer was going to be a grueling challenge.

"Amelia is that you?" She finally calls from the living room.

I drop my bag at the end of the stairs and enter the room. All of the blinds were completely closed, trying as much as possible to let in any rays of sunlight. My mom was sprawled across the couch. For once she was dressed in a pair of sweat pants and a loose shirt, something she only did when she was sick.