Chapter 2

Avery’s POV

With my black hood, I kind of looked like a counsel man. Okay Avery let’s think kid all you have to do to get to your destination is take a right, two lefts and—

Oh no. I could smell him. I could spell Callen, the insignificant little- okay Avery he’ll know it’s you if you think like that. He’ll read you based on your heart rate, if he can’t already smell you. Oh no he can’t smell me; my vampire demon sent should be already filling his lungs except that I went to Jace. I had Jace mask my sent, but Jace is a beginner is those types of spells. Okay Avery think; you’re a half and half here. What can you do? You’ve got a little witch on your mother’s side and a little on your dad’s side too. Jace said to concrete to get a spell going, but you’ve never tried it before.

“Um excuse me,” a very kind, husky voice filled the hall. Well that will change when he catches on to me.

Well I’m not going down without a fight. Okay Avery remember what you learned in school; how to use your demon half to conceal your voice. School, in the other’s world, is a place of learning how to use your powers. As a half and half, she went to a special school. The very few students make it so that you can learn with just one teacher for you if you’re lucky. Avery has demon by herself, witch with a few other girls (witch is not the same as warlock), and vampire is her most packed class with five other girls and seven boys.

She is a little more skilled in the sweet voice demons use for tricks and vampires use to attract their prey, but it would be excellent if she use the ruff voice used for scaring. Callen needed to be scared.Okay I probably can’t get what I want but here goes, “Hello sire,” oh no, now I sound like a kid.

“And may I ask, what a child is doing wandering the castle halls?” Oh man, think Avery, think.

“Daddy is in a meeting and I lost him,” well it wasn’t a lie daddy was in a meeting all right, a meeting with a frightened group of humans. And I did lose him, the sane him.

Callen got to my eye level, well if facing the back of my head counts as eye level, “Would you like me to show you the way?”

Oh great job Avery, really nicely done, “You really don’t have to,” um, “because you’ll have to look at my face,” yeah that’s it, “I got in a bad accident with a dragon,” great now what?

“I’m sure it’s fine,” he’s turning to look, cover up! I nervously pulled on the hood to cover my face. Thankfully he got the right idea and I got even luckier; I smelt a guard in the hallway and I knew he could smell it too, so now he couldn’t force the hood off. Wait, what’s that smell? Oh crap it’s me; Jace’s spell wore off! Oh Jace when you get back here! Let’s just say you’re gonna wish I wasn’t part demon!

I started to walk off, hoping he wouldn’t notice, but of course “Avery you didn’t fool me for a minute”

“Liar, I had you completely fooled. I can fool you, you’re an idiot.”

“Oh really?”

“Yes really, when are you going to accept that what happened with Chloe wasn’t my fault and let my mother go?!”

“Not in a million years, guard. The little vermin got in again.”

“Vermin? So now I’m down there with werewolves?” I knew he called werewolves vermin, but seriously? The only vermin in this galaxy was him!

“You know, every snide comment is bad for your mother,” I gasped that sicko, “Yes well, guards,” if he plays dirty, why shouldn’t I.

As the guards went to grab me I just had to point out, “You know, I know were Chloe went and I have contact as well. So, if you don’t believe she can’t stand you, well, now you can.” With that the guards dragged me off. They took me down to halls to the right, three lefts and I knew where they were going. Well, daddy dearest was in for a surprise. Oh well, now’s as good a time as any to try my new spell training. Concentrate…

Alla maran condence dory maran colli

That did it, wow for once my spell didn’t backfire. Oh no I just jinxed it. Oh well, this time the jokes on them because I’ll be out of there before any damage gets done to me. They were frozen, completely still. Oh well, he’ll still find a punishment for me. Although being near him must count as some form of punishment.

Suddenly I smelt something foul. I covered my nose, disgusting it smells like something died in here. Well here being the next hallway over. And no way was I going anywhere near there. If it smelled bad here, it would smell twice as bad there. That is, I wouldn’t have gone anywhere near there; but then I smelt it. Stella. Oh my witch friend, what have you been up too?

Covering my nose I went over there. Stella had a bottle of purplish/greenish liquid. It smells so horrible! That is disgusting, uck; what is in that stuff? For the first time Stella seems to have noticed my presence.

“Hey Avery; what’s up?” Oh Gosh, how could she stand that?

“Stella?” I spoke, trying hard not to look at the bottle of eye watering horror, “Why do you have a bottle of death with you?”

“What are you talking about Avery?” Seriously? “This is just my new potion.

“New? Oh trust me Stella, that stuff must have gone bad, come on I have two of the best smellers in my blood. Even wolf-boy over there is hiding from it.” Her werewolf brother was covering his nose as I was speaking, “Why do you have it here anyways?”

Stella and her twin wolf-boy brother, Tristan, were a rare case. I don’t know how it works, but Jace could probably explain it better. Basically Stella’s gotten the witch DNA and Tristan got the werewolf DNA. If it was going to happen I guess this is the best way because their mom is the witch and their dad is the werewolf. Not to mention, it’s more common for witches to be girls and werewolves to be boys. I don’t know how come, but it is. They only got to the half and half school to see if they will later develop the skills their sibling got. Half and halves are more prone to other’s blood in their family tree.

“Hey Tristan, isn’t this stuff disgusting?” I pointed to the bottle of death.

He nodded saying in his husky voice, “I keep trying to tell her she got ripped off of the herbs she bought at the market.”

“Didn’t she got to the specialty store in town?”

“No, she went to the market because it’s cheaper.”

I turned to ->, “Stella!” as I screamed at her.

“Look, I’ll prove to you that it’s alright,” with that she took out a heart-shaped box. This box was white as snow with beautiful, lush, green vines that almost look real. There were millions of little, colorful flowers. No two were a like; like snowflakes.

I could only stare, but Tristan seemed furious, “You’re going to use that!”

“Yes because it purifies and makes my magic stronger.”

“Didn’t you make that in witch’s class, only twice as sloppy?”

“Yeah, but this one is Jace’s. And you realize that two times zero is zero?”

“Whatever, but where did you get Jace’s box?” I know, I know. Hwy would Jace, a guy who often wears black in the human world for the heck of it, have a heart shape box? Well, I know the vines are for herbs and the white is for purifying. Oh, I know the heart is to put your heart and soul into the magic; weird right?

“From Jace’s office dummy.” Stella you idiot.

“Stella, even I know that you’re not supposed to use items made by other people without a license. Not only is illegal, but it’s dangerous; he made this for him, it won’t work for you and someone will get hurt.”

She looked at me like I was crazy, “No one will get hurt silly,” man she looks off, “I know it’ll work”

I turned to Tristan again, “How much of those herbs has she been breathing in?”

He laughed, “I have no idea,” with that he covered his nose and came over.As we stared, Stella set the box down and staring pouring the potion into the box. And I owe Stella an apology because it worked out fine. And the potion came out silvery blue. And it smelled like a dream. Like, like, like... like a human.