Kidnapped - Epilogue

Chapter 15 – Epilogue

I spun around in the mirror and I had to admit I looked nice. I wore a knee length black silky dress with high stilettos. It was the day of Erin’s funeral so I wore waterproof makeup. I was now living back at home as I was discharged about 4 days ago. 

Dan was coming to the funeral with us, because I wanted his support. He and I were now a couple but we hadn’t had the chance to go out anywhere yet, due to strict orders from the doctor to stay in bed.

 The funeral was going to be quite small, just me, Mum, Dan and a few of our other relatives. 

“Case, come on!” Dan yelled from the front of my house. 

I slowly walked to the front door and was greeted by Dan and Mum. Dan was wearing a tux, while Mum was wearing a long, black velvet dress. Dan took my hand and we headed out the door. I gaped when I saw what was in our driveway. A brand new black Subaru WRX was sitting in the driveway. 

“I knew your always embarrassed being seen in that old bucket of trash I had before, so I decided to buy myself a new car,” he smiled at me. 

I felt guilty, it didn’t matter what Dan drove, but damn this was one nice car! I slipped into the front seat while Mum hopped into the back. The car started smoothly and Dan drove swiftly down the road. He leant across and grabbed my hand and i smiled. I love him.

***

When we arrived at the funeral parlour, I was in awe. It was beautiful. There was flowers covering the gardens and the building looked like a castle. The hearse arrived behind us, we had decided not to ride in it.

We slowly walked into the building and found our seats by the front. The coffin arrived and the funeral directors place it on the front stage. 

No one but me makes a move to go see her. 

The rest of the family hadn’t arrived yet so I stood up and made my way to the front. Her face came into view and I sat down beside the coffin. Dan was right behind me at he joined me on the steps. He enveloped his hand in mine and I studied Erin’s face. She looked so calm, so calm. A single tear rolled down my face and Dan stood up slowly. He gave me a quick hug and walked back to his seat. He always knew when I wanted to be alone.

“Erin, I knew I didn’t know you very well, but I’m still sad that you’re gone. I really don’t understand why you committed suicide. Even though you’re gone, you’ll always be my twin sister. I love you, Erin,” I cried.

Tears strolled down my cheeks and onto the coffin. I stood up and walked back silently to my seat.

***

The family arrived and the funeral begun. The minister uttered a few prayers and Mum made a speech. 

“Is there anyone else who would like to come speak?” the minister announced, scanning the room. 

I glanced at Dan and he nodded encouragily. I walked up to the podium and cleared my throat. 

“All I want to say is that I love my twin sister and I’m distraught that she’s gone,” I speak confidentially into the microphone. 

My eyes scan the room and my heart drops when I see who is at the back of the room. 

Scar.

I walk down to my seat and Dan squeezes my hand. The minister announces the funeral is over and Erin’s coffin is taken away. In about an hour we were going down to the cemetery to watch Erin being buried. 

“Dan, please come with me for a second,” I plead. 

He glances back questionably but follows me anyway. At the back of the room, Scar comes into view. He is surrounded by police but he still sees me. 

“Casey, I’m sorry,” Scar mumbled. I didn’t really believe him, but I had to say something. 

“Maybe someday I’ll forgive you, Scar. But until then, it’s farewell, Dad.”