CHAPTER 3

Sam got up quickly and put his hands on the top of his brother's chest trying to calm him down , but what was going on was too much. -"Dean! Dean calm down! You're okay"- He said- "You're okay!" Dean's face was covered in tears and Sam could see on his brother's eyes the pain he was feeling. Sam pressed the button and called the nurse, he didn't want to leave his brother alone like that. The nurse gave Dean some morphine and called Dr. Adams. Dean was sedated, meaning he was calmed. The doctor checked Deans constants and temperature, he seemed to have a fever, but everything else was all right. He was falling asleep because of the morphine, so Blanca spoke to Sam : -"Sam, can I talk to you?-She said-"Come with me"-"What's the matter?- He asked while the entered to a little office.-"Sam you need to be strong right now"-She started-"Dean...your brother is going to need you more than ever"-She said carefully.Sam's body was really tense. He feared the worst and he decided to shut up.-"The scanning tests, the MRI, the biopsy, the X rays and the blood test shows a...well, we can see a mass on Dean's chest and abdomen, especially on Dean's lungs."-She did a little pause because she could see Sam's watering eyes-This means that your brother has cancer. He has tumors on both lungs and now the cancer has spread all over his chest and abdomen. A tear fell from Sam's eye. -"He has stadium IV lung cancer.-She continued- "This means he's really sick. Is there anything you wanna know?"-She asked.-"What are we going to do to help him?"-He said worried.

-"If the cancer does not spread, Dean has a 17% chance of survival. We can keep him comfortable and make his life last longer, but..."

-"There has to be something..."-Said Sam-"Surgery, treatment...a miracle! It has to be something. He's not going to die, not like this."-He started sobbing- "Does he know about it?"

-"No, you will have to tell him before he starts the Chemo.".- She said.

Sam said "thanks" and walked away. He wasn't ready to face his brother, but he didn't want to leave him alone, so he went to his room.

Dean seemed more awake than before, he was in a good mood but Sam could notice his wet eyes.

-"Hey Sammy"-Said Dean with a broken voice.

-"He bro, how you feeling?"- The youngest brother replied.

-"Well, I've been better, but still kickin dude. We'll be back in the game in a few days, Sammy"-Dean looked in the eye of his little brother-"What's the matter?"

Sam was upset answering that question-"We were in Oakridge, haunting some Wendigos and you passed out"

"Well"-Dean started-"It's pretty normal, this past month it's been hard for us, Sammy. We need to rest. Tomorrow we will leave the hospital and we can rent a motel room and stay there a few days, you know?"

-"Dean, take it easy"-Said Sam while he wiped the tears on his face.

-"Dude, I'm fine, I'm just tired. We can rest a few days in the city and the hit the road again. I'll be fine!"-Dean said.

-"Dean!"- Said Sam with an expression of anger and sadness on his face - "We're not going anywhere, we are staying here! Don't you get it? You're sick Dean, very sick."

A few tears fell from Dean's eyes.

-"What's wrong with me?-He asked.

He tryied to get out of the bed, even if his little brother had told him no to.

He put his feet on the floor and he fell, hitting the ground with his head really hard.

-"Dean!- Sam shouted. He sat right nex to him and grabbed his head while he screamed for help.

The blood came out of his forehead really fast and he was unconscious.

A whole bunch of nurses entered the room, took Dean and put him on his bed, they gave him morphine and patched his gash. Sam couldn't believe it, he felt guilty but, why had his brother to make things so hard?

A little after, Dr. Adams came to talk to Sam.

-"I'm glad Dean's okay!"-She said-"I just wanted to tell you that Dean will start the treatment in 3 days, so you better tell him. The Chemo we are going to give him is very, very strong. He will be sick most of the time".

-"I know,"-Sam said-"thanks Doc"

Next morning Sam woke up and Dean was already awake.

-"Rise and shine, Sammy"- Said Dean.

Sam tried to laugh but he couldn't, he was going to tell his brother the truth.

Dean drank a cup of coffe for breakfast, he wasn't hungry, so Sam ate the rest of the it.

-"Sammy"-Said Dean-"Could you please tell me what the hell is going on? You look worried, what's the matter?"

-"Okay, mate, it's time."He started-"Dean, you're so thin, you don't eat, your body hurts, I know, you're always tired and sometimes ,you can't barely breathe, my God Dean, you have bruises all over your chest."

Dean checked his chest. There were a lot of bruises. He looked at his brother.

-"What is this, Sammy? I thought these were because of hunting."

-"No Dean, they are not. Dean I... I don't know how to..."-He stopped talking and saw his brother's wet eyes-"Dean you have cancer."

His brother's face was indescribable. He dropped a few tears and started shaking. Sam was heartbroken. He sat next to Dean and calmed him down.

-"We are going to make it through this Dean.

Dean nodded.

Next day, Dr. Adams explained to him what his cancer was about, the treatment he was going to receive and his chances to survive.

He was worried and scared, Sam could see it in his eyes.

Sam made Dean eat dinner, he needed energy for the Chemo.

Next morning Dean was asleep whe Sam woke him up. He didn't have breakfas because he didn't want to puke. A little after, a nurse came into the room to put a port in Dean's chest, the process was painfull.

-I'll give you the meds through the port, first I'll give you a mix made of Cisplatin and Abraxane and then I'll give you another mix made of Carboplatin, Docetaxel and Vinblastine. It'll take arroun 6 hours more or less, if you need something, you call me."

Dean was nervous, he didn't want to be there, he wanted to go hunting with his lil brother. The nurse connected the tubes to Dean's port and it began.

Sam sighed, Dean wasn't ready and he neither.

About 20 minutes later, Dean was feeling awfull already. He felt like vomiting and his chest was burning. Sam asked for some pain killers for his brother, but there was nothing to do, that sensation was too much.

Sam tried to do everything he could to comfort his sick brother. He handed him a glass of water, but 2 minutes later, it ended up in the bucket. He caressed his hair when Dean couldn't stand the pain and moaned.

-"How you doing, Dean?"-Sam asked his almost unconscious brother.

-"I...'m fine I guess"- He lied-" Could you ask for some morphine for me, Sammy?"

-"Yeah, sure. I'll be right back"

After spending the night at the hospital, he got permission to go home. He should be back for another session of Chemo in three days.

Sam rented a motel room near the hospital, so they could get there quickly.