Chapter 1

Brenday, 1 Zeanym, 1006 KR

They said people came to the Stop to die.

They said Death himself was a patron.

But Ceph didn't trade in rumour. He just served drinks.

Byrday, 2 Zeanym, 1006 KR

"Seventeen? You old enough to own a bar, kid?" the man asked.

Ceph pointed to the hooded crow in the rafters. "The bird owns it. I just run it."

Lorday, 3 Zeanym, 1006 KR

"Why does everyone shorten the name to the Stop?" She was a new face, her accent from upcountry.

"Bad luck to say the Angel of Death's name aloud in the bar,” Ceph replied. “He might come looking."

Uunday, 4 Zeanym, 1006 KR

Ceph wondered if the mists of Theore had kept the city alive all its history, a blanket of peace forced upon the metropolitan masses. Then the fifth bell would ring and he'd find that the mists just forced the chaos indoors, where his warm fire and booze awaited.

Sunday, 5 Zeanym, 1006 KR

The man pointed a newcomer towards the white ash cabinet in the corner. "Superstition says you leave an offering so Death hi'self don't come for ye. Reality says you do it or the crow pecks yer eyes out."

Danday, 6 Zeanym, 1006 KR

It was true that Azrael's Stop got more than its share of deaths for a bar and inn. But Ceph did brisk business, so who was he to care?

Losday, 7 Zeanym, 1006 KR

They wondered if the crow was intelligent. A witch's familiar, a lost soul, an angel. Or just a crow. Whichever, it was the spirit of the Stop.

Brenday, 8 Zeanym, 1006 KR

"I don't know how he deals with all the death."

"He's a strange kid."

"Old, for seventeen."

"I like him."

"Only reason I come back to this place."

Byrday, 9 Zeanym, 1006 KR

Ceph woke to the crow's call. Someone had died tonight.

He hoped it wasn't Old Tom, who'd stayed there months. Waiting.

Ceph liked Old Tom.

Lorday, 10 Zeanym, 1006 KR

The Stop was loud tonight. Even Theore City would be affected by the latest embargo from the Angorians, and it reminded everyone that war was only one aggression away. So to forget about life, they came to Death's bar.

Uunday, 11 Zeanym, 1006 KR

"Why would you choose to run a place like this?" he asked.

"I'm a very positive person," Ceph said, straight-faced.

The feyling laughed.