Chapter 22

Spying on Sanguina turned out to be a much bigger challenge than Valerie had anticipated. First of all, no one seemed to know where she was living. Everyone had seen her around Arden, but she would vanish for days at a time.

Even when she was around, other Knights or Guild leaders were usually closely watching her. Valerie wasn't the only one who wasn't comfortable around the ex-vampyre. She started to doubt whether or not she would be able to find out any new information under the circumstances.

"She's still creepy as ever, I'll grant you that," Kanti said, surreptitiously examining Sanguina over the top of her sandwich. Sanguina had just left the building that housed the Guardians of the Boundary, and she tilted her face up to soak in the light that drenched the green lawn. Kanti and Cyrus had met Valerie for a picnic lunch on the lawn in the middle of The Horseshoe.

"You've gotta be kidding. She was way scarier when she had those crazy veins. You never saw her up close. I did," Cyrus said with a shudder.

"I'm not getting a master criminal vibe from her, though. She seems kind of lost and confused to me," Kanti said.

Cyrus made a skeptical sound, but Valerie had to agree with Kanti, even if she didn't want to. "I can't help thinking there's something a little pathetic about her. A few Conjurors talk to her, but in general, she's kind of a leper."

They watched as Sanguina bumped into Oberon, who was trimming the hedges of the Guardians of the Boundary Guild.

"That's weird," Valerie said. "She's talked to him the past two days as well. It always looks like an accidental meeting, but I'm starting to think it's on purpose."

Cyrus furrowed his brow. "You think he might be working with her?"

"I don't know. I saw them talking before I was attacked at the Capitol, but he helped drive Zunya away," Valerie said.

"Unless that was for show, to win your trust," Kanti said darkly. She saw Cyrus and Valerie both staring at her in surprise. "What? I was raised in a castle. I know a few things about deception."

"I never thought twice about it at the time, but I heard Oberon asking Rastelli about you, too," Cyrus said.

"What did he want to know?" Valerie asked, startled.

"He asked if he knew you well, and if you were really a vivicus like everyone was saying. Of course, Rastelli doesn't really know you so he probably couldn't tell him much."

"Okay, that's weird," Kanti said. "Oberon stopped Henry once when he was on his way to the Empathy Collective. It was strange because he asked him for the time, and that was it. He's not known for being social."

"He's keeping tabs on us," Valerie said grimly. What reason could an ancient, powerful Conjuror have for his curiosity about her and her brother? The only answers she could think of were bad ones.

"If they're working together, you could try following him instead of Sanguina," Kanti suggested.

"That's a good idea," Valerie agreed. "We know he has an actual house and he doesn't randomly disappear. Maybe it will give me a clue as to whether or not they're meeting in secret."

"You're not going alone," Cyrus said.

"I'll be careful," she replied.

"No! You've already been attacked by whoever this mysterious nut job is. You've got to take Henry or me with you, at the very least."

"Hey! What about me? I've got magic now," Kanti said.

"No offense, but hearts and flowers aren't going to keep Oberon at bay if he tries to attack."