The Baby Bomb *Chapter 3*

Hello all! Here is the next chapter, this time it's sort of on time. I will try to get another update out before school starts on the 25th. Until then, please enjoy! :D

*****************************************************************************************************************

 December 18, 2375

I flipped on the television and the news anchor, Rose Summers came onto the screen. A little window beside her had a picture of the government and people on their knees begging.

“Young couple, Brenna and Sylvester Torrez found out they were two months pregnant with a child. Brenna had not had the required hysterectomy,” She said. That was normal. Like me, some parents did not get their kids the surgery, but they often did not get pregnant, “They went to the government to beg them to allow her to have her unborn child. The baby was later aborted because of the law against pregnancy,” Rose said. I was into this story.

“This is all crazy talk,” My father said as he flipped the channel. I’m guessing he didn’t want me to get worried.

“What are you talking about? That could be me!” I started. I put my arms over my belly, covering the small bump up. Four months in and I was already showing.

“It won’t be you, Laelia. This couple was stupid and brought their case to the government. You’re smarter than that,” He told me.

“Maddox, you have to remember that people go to the government and beg to have babies daily. It’s a common occurrence,” My mother butts in.

“Yes, Chloe, but this couple was actually pregnant. That’s the first time this has happened in what? Five years at the least?” My dad told my mom.

“Do you think there are other people like me? Like, people that are pregnant, or people that were pregnant and just didn’t tell anyone?” I asked as I twisted my blonde ponytail in my fingers.

“It’s hard to say. I wouldn’t be surprised if that has happened,” My mother told me as she looked up from her tablet.

“It’s got to have happened. There are one trillion people in the world. There’s got to be at least one person that is in my situation or has gone through it,” I said, more to myself then to my parents.

“It’s hard to say, Lai. I could search it on the tablet?” My mother suggested.

“Don’t. It’s too risky. The government tracks those searches, you know. All they need is a little bit of evidence that Laelia’s pregnant and they will have someone over here to terminate the baby faster then we can blink,” My father said, getting up off of the couch.

“Oh, c’mon. It won’t hurt anyone, and the government does not track these searches. I’m almost positive that nothing will show up,” My mom said.

I walked over to her so I could see what she was typing it, “It’s worth a shot,” I said.

     I watched my mom’s fingers glide over the digital keyboard. She typed in ‘pregnancy’ in the search bar. Almost immediately news stories were brought up from May 26th, 2361. The day I was born. She looked further; most of the stories were about how I was the last baby that was born in the world.

     After searching a little bit longer, my mom clicked on a link that had the name of a woman, and a picture of her pregnant. My mom handed me the tablet and I walked back over to the couch. I read the article of what seemed to be a blog:

The waiting hurts, the not knowing is excruciating, the thought that I may lose my child kills me. I wish I could go a day without thinking the worst, but instead hoping for the best. Each day my belly grows bigger, but my confidence and faith grows smaller. This poor child has no idea what his or her life entails. It’s not their fault they were made. The fact that its life could be a living hell makes me want to die. They will never be able to have a normal life, or be able to act like a child. I will never be able to take my child to pre-school, or push them in a stroller in the park. No one will ever be able to tell me ‘Look at this beautiful girl!’ or ‘Take a look at this handsome young man!’ This child will live inside for its whole life, and there’s nothing I can do about it.