Chapter 14: A DIFFERENT KIND OF SICK

WALK WITH ME

A WALKING DEAD Fanfiction

***

Previously: Daryl and Emyli went back to the farm to look for Carol and Andrea. Rescuing Carol, Emyli almost did not make it out alive from the burning stables. This earned her a kiss on the head from Daryl.

***

Chapter 14: A DIFFERENT KIND OF SICK

***

Glenn and T-Dog approached Daryl with caution-like how one would approach a bear in slumber. Daryl was quiet and away from everybody as usual. He was staring at something unseen with his usual scowl. It actually looked like nothing was different-aside from the fact that there was. And Glenn and T-Dog would not want to miss this opportunity to help Daryl with something he just was not good, but actually terrible at.

"Hey, man," T-Dog called. Daryl did not look at them. The sudden noise just broke his stare and he exasperatedly ran a palm on his face.

"We plannin' boys' camp or somethin'?" Daryl asked irritably as the two guys made themselves comfortable with Glenn sitting across and T-Dog beside him.

"Not plannin'," T-Dog said with a smirk, "this is the boys' camp!"

Glenn tried to laugh but only managed an uncomfortable "ha-ha" as he could sense Daryl was in his dangerous mode.

"Piss off," Daryl spat. "What d'ye want?"

Glenn and T-Dog exchanged glances, nodding at each other, egging the other one to talk.

"Ahm...about Emyli-"

Glenn was not able to continue. Daryl shifted on his seat upon hearing the girl's name. Now that they got his attention, Glenn could not bring himself to go on-seeing the murderous look on Daryl's face.

T-Dog came to rescue. "We know what happened, man," he said trying to sound comforting. "You know you can talk to us about it."

The redneck looked at him with narrowed eyes. In the end, Daryl let out a deep breath. "Ain't nothin' to talk about."

"Yes there is," Glenn was almost surprise at his own enthusiasm. The next words, he spoke carefully. "It must be hard for you. I mean, when it happened to me, I couldn't sleep."

Daryl studied Glenn's face, weighing, thinking, if there were really something to talk about. Perhaps it was alright to share his thoughts sometimes. Daryl nodded, giving in. "Yeah," he grunted. "I din't know what to do afterwards." He bowed his head, looking tired. "And I can't stop thinkin' about it."

Glenn and T-Dog exchanged glances again. There were coy smiles playing at the end of their lips. T-Dog nodded for Glenn to continue.

"Same thing with me," Glenn said. "I couldn't believe it was happening. Like I must be dreaming or something."

Unbelievably, more nods coming from Daryl. It suddenly felt right to him: talking about it and with someone who had experienced the same thing. "No shit," he blurted. "I mean, it totally scared the shit out'ta me."

"Oh man, you felt that way too?!" Glenn asked. "I was also so scared when it happened to me."

"I knew there's gotta be something that scares you, man," T-Dog told Daryl, shaking his head. "So what did she do after the...you know. After that."

The redneck shrugged. "Ye know the girl," he muttered, "went on like nothin' happened."

"Same thing with Maggie," Glenn said rather sadly. "Kinda left me hanging afterwards."