Chapter 37

IMPORTANT:  I have finally given a name to the Pavox language which is included in this chapter and has been woven through my own personal copy throughout the story.  So don't be confused when you come across a new word.  ALSO VERY IMPORTANT!! please let me know what you think about the name, give me feedback on that (and the chapter in general please!)  And of course, don't forget to click that vote button!

Also, Merry Christmas/ Happy New Year!!  Hope everyone is having a great Holiday season!! Sorry about taking so long as usual, although I'm almost done with the book and I plan to have it done before January so we'll see how that works!! Next chapter is already under way!

PREVIOUSLY ON FLEDGING: Io has thrown Arkell down into the waves below after setting him alight with her flames.  Araceli and Io begin a fight to the death, but just as Araceli seems to have lost all hope, Dakarai re appears and with the help of Roka, a gryphon, Araceli is flown to safety towards the Aerie and Kenneth who should still be recovering there.  Still wondering about Dakarai's mysterious relationship with Io,  Araceli and Amiri leave them behind along with the rest of the KA that showed up with Dakarai....

Chapter 37

Roka deposited us at the front of the Aerie. She left us without much hassle, saying she was needed on the other side of the islands. We both thanked her and then made our way towards the large structure before us. The guards on duty spotted us a ways off and an alarm was sounded. They looked wary of us, but after recognizing my wing pattern and seeing Amiri, they realized who I was.

"Your Highness! Are you alright? Do you need treatment for your wounds? What is happening out there? We seemed to have lost contact with Bladvier Arkell, have you seen or heard from him?"

The amount of questions hit me like a physical blow and I blinked at the two who had approached, startled.

"I'm fine, but I need to see my friend who was brought to the infirmary immediately." I didn't want to discuss Arkell yet, nor was I sure it would be best to let these soldiers know about Arkell's involvement in this battle.

"I would be honored to escort you to the infirmary if you are in need of a guide." One of the guards stepped forward and bowed low, his light brown wings splayed out horizontally in deep respect.

"Thank you, let's be quick."

"Of course, if you will follow me, your Highness." The young man kept his wings spread as he stood up and jumped into the air.

I gritted my teeth and with steel resolve, and a wordless but worried yet encouraging thought from Amiri, I too sprung up into the air. The flight over with Roka had allowed some of my strength to return, however my ascent was still a tad wobbly. My guide however, tactfully pretended to not notice my struggle of getting airborne. He simply turned away and flew off towards a top portion of the Aerie with me on his tail feathers the entire way there, face set in a determined scowl as I concentrated on keeping aloft.

We alighted in a large, open room that was lined with beds and perches where patients were resting and healers were rushing around, administering aid to the wounded.

Our guide left with another low bow and flew off, I walked down the narrow aisles, talons clacking loudly on the stone floor. Amiri circled over the crowd and gave a sharp rasp as he stopped over one form in the far corner over which a healer sat bent, working at something.

I rushed past the others that were in my way, ignoring the stares as my plumage began to draw the attention of workers and patients alike. Blocking out the whispers of that's the new Bladvier, right there, and, the rumors are true, the Lost Hatchling really has returned home, I surged forward. Dropping to my knees in a very un-pavox like gesture, I looked down at Kenneth who had started at Amiri's cry. I nearly sobbed with relief when I saw that he was well and conscious.