31. Broken promise

"Hi," Salsa knelt next to him.

She moved her trembling hand out till she reached his cold cheek. He shivered and turned, his eyes changing to very sad ones.

"Love," he whispered.

"They have the cure, they have it but they lied and don't want to give it to us," she said, moving closer, and he reached his hands out to hug her tightly. "They lied and they want to kill me, I need to run away from here." She caressed his face, feeling more than ever - fear, hope, butterflies.

"What will you do?" he asked, looking in her eyes inches from her lips.

"I don't know yet," she said.

"We can help," muttered the huge man that came closer. "Newt is in our gang and he loves you, so we'll help," he looked at the group around him.

"Really?" Salsa glanced at him.

"Really," nodded the man.

About ten people in the room nodded with him.

"Tell us what to do," said Newt.

"There are ten guards around the building, all have guns," explained Salsa.

"Where's Tommy?" asked Newt suddenly and Salsa felt a cold shiver.

"He's safe with Minho and the rest, I need to hurry to them," she lied. "And I'll come back for you," she whispered.

She knew she couldn't tell him the truth. He was so close to the border and the news about Thomas' death could drive him insane.

"Okay," Newt nodded.

"I have this," the blue eyed man gave her a knife.

"Thank you but you might need it more," she said, glancing around.

She saw a girl dressed in worn out clothes.

"Can you gave me your clothes?" she asked the girl.

The girl seemed shocked and frightened but nodded. She and Salsa went to the back of the room while Newt took the blanket, holding it up to cover them from the others.

"Ready," said Salsa when she was dressed in the rotten clothes.

"You're still beautiful," whispered Newt.

She saw that he was sad all the time.

"I'll attack the guards in front of the building," said the blue-eyed man.

"Okay, wait two more minutes. I have to say bye," Salsa turned to Newt and the man nodded, even smiled.

"I'll come back for you with the cure, give me two days," whispered Salsa hugging Newt.

She felt his strong heartbeat and hope filled her for the first time since Thomas died or nearly died on her eyes.

"I'm not who you think I am," whispered Newt. "I... I did something," he grabbed her face in his small hands, lifting it up so he was breathing on her lips.

"I don't care," she said, looking straight into his eyes.

They were fading into darkness again and she felt the rising pain.

"I attacked someone. I... I attacked someone," he said and his hand tightened his grip, she felt his sharp nails digging in her cheeks painfully.

"Newt, I dont care. I love-"

"I bloody bit out a huge part of flesh from his hand!" Newt let go of her, screaming loud. "And I liked the taste of his flesh," he trembled, his eyes as dark as night.

"I don't care," Salsa went to him and grabbed his shaking hands.

"How can you not care?" he asked and his eyes changed as if he woke up again.

"I don't care," she said, kissing his lips and feeling the pain filling her body with the sweetest pleasure. "I still think this tastes better," she slid her tongue into his mouth.

"How can you kiss these lips after what they did?" whispered Newt in shock.

"I love you, I'll come back with the cure in two days," she kissed him again.

"I'm leaving to Denver with my gang," Newt looked away.

"Do you remember your promise?" she asked, and he nodded. "We'll be fine," she whispered, pressing her lips to his.

Then she turned towards the entrance.

"Ready!" she shouted to the huge guy that was at the door with a few more men. The guy smiled at her a little bit insanely and ran out of the building.

"I love you," Salsa kissed Newt one last time and ran to a door at the back of the bowling room.

"Salsa!" shouted Newt and she turned around.

He looked at her and his eyes darkened again.

"I can't keep my promise," he said and she felt like falling apart.

But a gunshot made her jump up and ran out of the door, a guard stormed into the room and she moved quickly to the next building through the crowd of Cranks.

She heard screams and gunshots all around her. The fight grew bigger and she hoped Newt would find a safe way out it but she couldn't help him now. It was the only way to save him. Dressed like one of the Cranks, she sped to the back fence of the Crank Palace that she still had the hole she had cut. There, she crawled through it and ran in the bushes further to the fields where they had their berg parked the last time, and she was lucky. The flat trans made the way for her shorter so she saw the ship on the glade in the forest. Salsa ran to it. The ramp was opened and she burst inside.

"Who are you?" Brenda sprung up, pointing a gun at her.

"It's me, Salsa!" she threw the hood from her head and Brenda lowered her gun.

"Salsa!" Minho jumped to her, closing her in a hug.

"What happened?" Brenda hurried to her embrace her as well.

Jorge stormed out of the cockpit, he had unshed tears in his eyes.

"Listen. WICKED lied to us. They took Thomas' body and cut his brain into pieces," she said and Brenda sat on the floor, trembling. "They have the cure, they lied again. They just wanted to kill me. The cure will be ready tomorrow the first phial," Minho opened his mouth but she stopped him. "All questions later, we don't have time. I forced them to bring me here to see Newt as my last will, and the group of Cranks he's with helped me escape. But Newt is in a very bad state, he has a day or two, maybe hours till it's going to be too late, so we need to hurry," she explained.

"What can we do?" asked Minho.

"We're going back to WICKED headquarters to get the cure from them," said Salsa.

"There are only four of us and we have one gun," whispered Jorge.

"That's why we must go to Scorch first," Salsa studied their faces.

"What's in the Scorch?" Minho looked at her.

"My friends."

Hi, hope you like the story so far. Thank you for all the feedback. What do you think about Newt getting worse? What about Salsa's mysterious friends? Who might they be?
The next chapter has one of my favourite scenes so I'm so excited :)