Chapter 1: Trouble

"In any right triangle, the area of the square whose side is theis equal to the sum of the areas of the squares whose sides are the two legs, okay?" Mr. West's deep voice, echoed though the cement walls of the classroom. Pretty much anything that made a sound echoed thought the room. The posters on the wall were already ripped, and the black board was worn out. The screech of the chalk against the board made my ears hurt, I had stopped paying attention to class and was focusing on my sketches.

I spend probably most of my time in school drawing, no one payed any attention in class and neither did I, yet I'm the only straight A student there is in the whole 7th grade. I hated school, the teacher were to strict and can't even afford new desks, instead we crappy desks that wobble and squeak.

I was going to town in my sketchbook. For the first time in days I was actually relaxed. Drawing is what I do most of my day, it calms me. My pencil gracefully glided across the paper, the drawing was a picture of a girl, in beautiful clothing that you never see here in Shadow Wood. She had long hair that fell down to her back in light curls. She was just about to draw a handsomeman next to her until someone grabbed her sketchbook away from her. "Miss. Cross!" Mr. West yelled, "for the fifth time, hand in your homework from last night!" his eyes were cold as he scolded me.

I sighed and took out my homework from my backpack and handed it to him. Everyone in the classroom was staring at me, giggling. "Miss. Cross, if I see you slacking off again I'm-" he was cut off my the dismissal bell. He sighed and handed my sketchbook back to me,"Here, put this away, next time I see it, I'm going to confiscate it." I took back my sketchbook and walked out without a word. As I walked though the hallway, people started to stare at me as if i was pregnant or something. I wasn't popular and my family couldntafford to buy the expensive clothes at the mall. I was happy withwhat I was wearing, a white graphic t-shirt with a black sweatshirt, dark pre-ripped jeans and old converse.

A skinny girl who had poker straight dirty blonde hair and brown eyes walked up to me. She was wearing a bright pink tank topand shite shorts with white sneakers. "Wow Macy nice outfit." she snickered, the crowd of girls laughing and whispering to each other.

"Thanks Danielle." I replied sarcastically and started to walk away.

"I'm pretty sure you are being taken over a voodoo doll cause someone that cruel would put those dishrags on you." She smirked as everyone in the hallway started to laugh. I turned around and walked back to her. I glared at her and shoved her into the lockers and walked outside. Danielle winced even though I didn't push hard, she took a step and tripped over her own foot. She screamed and fell flat on her face. Everyone had now stopped laughing at me, and started laughing at Danielle.

I opened my locker and quickly grabbed what I needed and walked outside. I never bothered to wait for anyone because I have no friends here, actually I have only one friend but i don't care. I started walking down the sidewalk when someone grabbed the hood of my sweatshirt. I nearly choked and looked to see who it was. He was tall and has brown shaggy hair and green eyes, he was in the 8th grade and I've seen him in the 7th grade hallway with Danielle.

"You've messed with my girlfriend, and your going to pay." he smirked and flicked his hand. Two other guys had grabbed both of my arms and started dragging me into the forest.

"Let me go you dumb ass!" I screamed, kicking my legs and trying to get out of their grip. They dragged me off into a clearing in the middle of the forest.

"Brandon, should we?" one of the guys said, loosening his grip on my arm. The other guy kept his grip tight, which was starting to hurt.

Brandon shook his head, "no, one punch and I'll be done." He smirked and lifted his arm. I closed my eyes, this wasn't the first time he had punched me, last time he gave me a black eye. I waited for the hit but it never came. I opened my eyes again and there was a tall boy standing behind Brandon, his hand in his fist. The boy was 17 and he wore a black t-shirt, jeans and black vans. A smile came across my face, the boy meant no harm to me, he was my friend, my only friend.

"Aron..."