Chapter Seventeen

"No," Luke says bluntly. His hand tightens around my waist.

The lawyer sitting across from us shuffles through his papers as he gives a frustrated sigh. The large conference room we sit in seems so evil at this moment. The black walls taunt me by absorbing the small amount of light emitted by the lightbulbs overhead. The room is cold and empty other than an intimidating lawyer called in by the child abuse management, Luke, and me. The lawyer's dark eyes scan the documents once again. He looks up and leans in toward Luke.

"Son, there's nothing I can do. I understand that you and Skyler are very close, but there is no possible way to put you both in the same foster home."

I knew this was going to happen. Somehow. Hospital, Dad follows us, police arrive, they report child abuse, lawyers are called, and we're put into Girls' or Boys' homes or foster homes.

I glance up at Luke. His jaw tenses as he stares the lawyer down. I've never seen him look like this except when my dad was beating me.

"In case the past hour of rejecting ideas from you didn't clue you in, I'm not leaving Skyler." Luke's arm that surrounds my waist is burning up.

"Luke," I begin, but the lawyer's deep voice cuts me off.

"Listen, kid," the man bring his face closer to Luke, "I've tried to be nice and meet in the middle, but this is clearly not working out.You two can't roam around in the woods forever. You're not 18 yet, and you need a legal guardian." He slowly stands up.

"Your father is nowhere to be found. Disappeared. He's long gone, and I don't know what else to do." He looks at me. "Skyler, your dad's a complete mess. He's not a fit parent. Your mother's gone, and neither of you have any other willing relatives." The tall, thick man gathers his papers under his arm.

"I don't have many options, here," he says as he opens the door to leave, "I'll give you two some time to talk this over."

'Willing relatives'. That's a tough blow. Another way of saying that nobody wants you. It's a strange sensation. You feel empty. Numb, even. We both sit there, unmoving. Just letting the fact sink in that we're not wanted anywhere.

Luke, still just as frustrated as before, stands and pulls me into a tight hug after a few minutes.

"Skyler. I can't lose you again. But.. I don't know what to do," Luke says quietly.

"It's okay. We're going to be okay. Everything's gonna work out in the end." I start to let go of him, but he pulls and holds me tighter.

"Please, don't let go."

"Luke, just because-" I'm silenced as the door opens.

The tall man slowly enters, closing the door behind him. Luke glances over and reluctantly lets me go, but still keeps a grip on my hand.

"Now," the lawyer says, "let's just get this over with."

His hand motions for us to sit down, and I immediately obey.

Luke crosses his arms as I let his hand go. I glance behind me, giving Luke a questioning look. He straightens his back and glances at me.

"I'd rather stand, sir," Luke says through gritted teeth. His eyes are dead-set on the man in front of us. He's told us his name, but we didn't bother to remember it.

"Fine," the lawyer says shortly, dropping Luke's gaze. After arranging his files and forms on the conference table, he folds his hands in front of him.

"Skyler."

I cringe slightly as he says my name.

"You're going to be placed in a Home for Girls in Atlanta, Georgia."

Two feelings hit me at that moment. One is anger. I want to get out of this horrible place, taking Luke with me, running as fast as we can. Another is sadness. New home to feel out of place in, new people to ditch me, all the while Luke is not going to be there. I feel the urge to burst into tears. But it takes every ounce of my willpower to not do either.

"Yes, sir," I answer quietly, keeping my head down, fearing that the tears brimming my eyes will fall any second.

"Luke, we've arranged for you to live in a foster home in Theodore, Alabama. Now, since you're sixteen, there's-"

"No."

I glance up.

The lawyer is cut off, Luke's angry, blue eyes piercing the dark room. Luke's body remains motionless other than his jaw tightening.

The thick lawyer lifts his eyes to meet Luke's.

"It's the best I can do. You really don't wanna play this game."

"Don't I?" Luke uncrossed his arms, moving toward the table. "Come on. Don't pull that move on me," Luke says fiercely as he leans on the table toward the man. I swallow hard, not sure of what's happening.

"Georgia? You're making Skyler move to Georgia. And Theodore?What a coincidence that Theodore is as south as you can get in Alabama. Oh, remind me again how many miles are between the two?" Luke's voice never falters as he leans closer and closer to the fuming lawyer.

The man in the suit rests his elbow on the table, putting his forefinger to his temple as Luke continues.

"Is that, really, the best you can do?" Luke seethes, "Really?"

I sit, motionless. Hardly breathing, scared that any movement or sound might bring one of them to the breaking point of his temper. I don't know what to do.

The lawyer stands sternly.

"You are in way over your head, kid. There's going to be some serious penalties for this big show you just put on, no doubt."

He gathers his papers, nods to me, and turns to walk silently out of the conference room.

"Do your worst!" Luke yells after him. His eyes clench shut as he drops down into the chair next to me. As Luke buries his face in his hands, I rub his back and lean on him.

"We're gonna be okay, Luke," I whisper.