Twenty One- Mags

Jared answered the door. Even through the solid five minutes of me begging and pleading for him to not make me talk to Dr.Patrick.  But, the way he was no giving into me showed me that something my grandfather said to him must have stuck. Truthfully, I was surprised  when my grandfather went to work today. He always babied me when the flashbacks came back  and something told me he was encouraging Jared to take over the babying. However I bet that Jared would regret the decision to make me talk to Dr.Patrick as soon as he saw him.  

I met Dr.Patrick before he was even a doctor. He was still in college barely 18 and he had to do a project of actual subject. Said subject was me. I was a freshman that year, making him only three years younger than him. Apparently he had graduated early.

Holly would always come over when he had visits and afterwards we'd whisper about how cute and funny he was. I believe that the last time he was here was my sophomore year, and Holly swore he was flirting with me. Yet, of course he was not flirting with me because that would be inappropriate. 

"Mags, It's been a while hasn't it?" Dr.Patricks voice ringings through my head pulling me out of thought. He makes himself at home pulling a chair over to the side of my bed. "I was surprised when your grandfather called me and told me he wouldn't be here." He says with a bit of humor and a touch of a laugh.

"Well you know," I start "He has to let me go sometime." I finish causing Dr.Patrick. "But I'm sure you saw how he didn't leave me with out some kind of supervision." I saw pointing to Jared. He was standing in the corner of the room with a stern look starring at Dr.Patrick. 

"Well Mags, leaving you unsupervised would have been a bad decision," Dr.Patrick says wiping some hair that fell in front of his eyes out of the way. "It would've left me to serious question his judgement."

"And why is that?" I question. I know that Holly is missing out. She would've loved to see our 21 year old therapist all grown up. He's got just a bit of stubble on his lower jaw. It's jet black to match his hair and dark eyes. He's very handsome now. I can see how to a stranger he could seem dangerous maybe even scary. But to me, a person who's known him a while now, all I see is kindness and caring.

"Well Mags, because even though you may deny it, I know that you could be some real trouble," He says with a big smile. This causes me to break out into laughed. However, when I look over at Jared he's got clenched fists and a stern frown on his face. "Anyway, we should get started." Dr.Patricks says with a hint of a sigh. "So Jared, was it? Would you mind stepping out?"

Jared looks at me. Part of me thinks he's waiting for me to say that I need him here. While the other part of me thinks he's checking to make sure I'm okay. Either way when I nod at him he doesn't hesitate and quickly steps out of the room.

"So Mags, When's the last time you've had a flashback?" Dr.Patrick asks. I guess this is it, no easing into we're just gonna start with the big questions. Although I am thankful for Dr.Patrick because where my Grandfather and Holly were completely avoiding that word, Dr.Patrick had no trouble saying it at all. He didn't even hesitate.

"The last time I had a flashback was the summer before my freshman year." I state, but then I remember, "Actually that was just more of a night terror, the last time I actually had a flashback like the one I had today was in eight grade." I continue.

Dr.Patrick begins writing all this down in the notepad he brought with him, even though I'm sure he remember all this. "Okay, so it's been a while since you've had a flashback." Even though I think it should be a question it sounds more like a statement. "What about these night terrors, you haven't been having any of them, have you?" He asks.

"No, I haven't had any nigh terrors." I say. It comes out harsher than I expect. I hate how we have to play this game. Eventually he'll ask me how I'm feeling and I'll say fine. Then he'll tell me I need to go back onto my medication which I actually hole heartedly hate.