Chapter Two - "Just trust me."

Chapter Two – “Just trust me.”

“It’s only a rumour, but I heard Katie Heron is pregnant. That’s why the family hasn’t shown up for service in weeks.”

Charlotte Nichols stiffened a little, feeling her hand tightening around her purse, “Pregnant? Are you sure?”

“As sure as can be,” Mrs Winston replied, one hand moving up to pat her synthetic maroon red wig, her nails equally as fake and her face almost resembling a clown because of how brightly painted and polished it was.

Charlotte wasn’t normally one for gossip but talking with the ladies kind of put her in the circle of things and besides it was church, it was the last place you wanted to offend anyone especially in their tightknit community.

“I bet you it happened during one of those choir practice sessions. Honestly, Betty knows better than to leave her two daughters in the hands of those riff raff that call themselves members of the choir – except your son of course, Charlie, Aaron is a sweet boy.”

“Right,” Charlotte said through gritted teeth, the wheels in her brain already spinning.

“Morning Denise,” Edward Nichols’ cheerful voice boomed as he made his way to the women, curling an arm around his wife’s shoulders, “not gossiping about me, I hope?”

“Oh you know we are,” Denise Winston teased, brushing her bright red talon-like nails on Edward’s shirt. Charlotte ignored the obviously more than intimate touch. To her pleasure though, Edward blatantly ignored the woman, instead gazing at his wife.

“You ready to go home, honey? I’ve got the kids in the car.”

“I’ll text you,” Denise said excitedly, winking at Charlotte and she managed a short, fake smile before turning around, her husband’s arm guiding her towards their jeep.

“Pregnant,” she muttered to her husband, “Katie Heron is pregnant – can you even imagine?”

Edward shrugged noncommittally but Charlotte wasn’t relenting, “I always knew those girls were nothing short of prostitutes but I don’t even understand how someone would want to get them pregnant, they’re so ugly.”

Edward chuckled a bit, “wow, way to give them some credit, woman.”

“I’m just saying,” Charlotte said with an offended shrug, in the end sending her husband’s arm off her shoulders as she stalked to the car. She eyed Aaron sharply upon spotting him – he was currently laughing and playing with the twins at the back of the car. Her eyes zeroed in on a bit of chocolate stuck to Alexander’s cheek as she slid into the passenger seat and she bluntly stated, “You got them ice-cream.”

Aaron blushed guiltily while the twins pouted and hurriedly began cleaning their faces to get off the bits they’d missed, “they wouldn’t stop pestering me.”

“If you don’t stop doing that, you’re going to get them spoiled,” Charlotte scolded as Edward got around and started the car, pulling out of the parking lot and zooming out.

“I won’t do it again,” Aaron replied quietly.

Aaron couldn’t help catching the way his mother kept glancing at him through the rear-view mirrors in the car and he could feel his stomach filling with dread. Ugh, what on earth had he done now?

“What do you guys say we go to the amusement park?” Edward asked loudly, glancing at the children and the twins immediately started squealing with delight.