Chapter 6, Snapped

I wake slowly. It must be early. The sun is just up, I can tell from the faint light painting my closed lids red. I make out voices, and focus on the words.

                “-ust watering the flowers, Mum.” I hear the sweet voice through my haze. Next I hear some scuffling. “No, mum, really, I don’t need help, honest. Just go and handle the store.”

                It’s the voice of an angel. I feel a smile curl my mouth up.

                “Lydia Violet Penske!” I hear a rougher female’s voice say. No, that isn’t right. That’s not the voice of an angel- but the voice of a witch. “You listen to me when I speak to you! Let me in here- I need some more Lavender for Mrs. Comer.”

                “No!” The angel chimes in again. “Mum, you go back to the store- to make sure no one steals, and all. I’ll bring the Lavender to you in a moment.”

                “Lydia! There is no time for this. Out of my way- now!” I hear the witch scream. No, this is wrong. The angel should not be yelled at. The angel should be protected.

                “Mum, please, just let me bring- Ahh!” I hear the sweet angel yelp with pain as I hear a soft yet prominent thud. The angel cries, and I hear the sound of foot falls skitter past me- the sound of metal scraping together and then the feet rush past me again.

                “Here are your flowers, Ma’am.” I hear the angel say fearfully. The witch gives a ‘humph’ then I hear her footsteps trot away.

                I hear the sound of a door closing, and then the angel’s tears increase as her sobs make ugly sounds echoed across the walls. So wrong. Angels do not deserve hurt. My eyes flutter open.

                “Angel…” I whisper. The crying halts as the angel hears me. A sniffle, and then a pause. No sound.

                The face of the angel appears in my field of vision- in my peripheral. I turn my head and see Violet. Her cheeks are tear-coated and her eyes are swollen from crying. I see a red weal on her cheek.

                “You are an angel.” I whisper, my voice slurred from sleep. A smile spreads across her lips.

                “Good morning, Toby.” She says softly, her voice breaking. It takes just a moment for all the pieces to fall into place.

                “Did the witch hurt you?” I whisper, looking into her twinkling brown eyes. “Lydia…?”

                She cracks a broken smile and tears stream down her cheeks again.

                “That witch is my mother. And yes, she hurts me Toby…” She whispers sadly. “And Lydia is me. My real name…”

                “You… lied…” I say, my brows pulling together. My voice is just a breath. I picture Mrs. Lovett, and Johanna.… So beautiful, and so lovely, and so pure… and yet hiding so much from me… 

                I feel something break deep inside me. The pain threatens to choke me.

                “I didn’t lie.” She says, ducking her head. “My middle name is Violet. Everyone calls me that.”

                “Lies!” I scream, bolting upright. Violet jumps back in surprise.

                “Toby…” She whispers in a startled voice. “I told you, Toby. I didn’t lie.”