We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Cover and banner made by @CirieQuinn :)

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Hearing the click of the lock, my lips curled into a minuscule smile. I opened the hunter green locker, shifting my enormous binder in my left arm. As soon as the locker was wide open, my smile faltered.

Back in September, I decorated the bland locker with picture after picture of my on-again-off-again boyfriend, Jason. In all of the pictures, we were smiling and showing displays of affection. That included hugging, and sometimes, lip-locking.

One picture always caught my attention. In it, Jason's face was buried in my red curls, his honey locks blending with my hair. Just from peering at it, I could tell that he was smiling his 1000 watt smile, even though it was hidden. It was always as if he was whispering a secret in my ear. The peculiar thing was that he never shared anything with me.

He was very secretive and was always moody around me after being together for a month. We always ended our relationship and then somehow made up, but this time, I was finished with him.

Feeling my face heat up slightly, I tore the picture from the locker and crumpled it into a ball with my fist. I repeated that for the rest of the pictures. Satisfied with what I did, my smile reappeared as I stuffed the pictures in my bag to throw out later.

"You know, I like it better like that," a deep voice whispered, tickling my ear.

Jumping about two feet in the air, I whipped around to see my best friend, Ben, standing at a very close proximity to me. I held a hand to my heart dramatically.

"Don't do that, Ben! You scared me to death!" I exclaimed, punching him in the shoulder playfully.

Ben flicked his black hair from his face and held up his hands in mock surrender. He chuckled lightly.

"Geez, sorry Tay! Just wanted to say that your locker looks a lot better without all of the pictures of him," his freckled nose turned up slightly at the mention of Jason.

"Thanks. I think it's officially over with him," I smiled widely, showing my straight, white teeth, which were finally free of the annoying braces.

"Good," Ben crossed his muscular arms and leaned against the locker next to mine.

We chatted for a few minutes while I placed my humongous binders in the locker and took out my homework accordion folder and my giant chemistry binder to take with me to go home.

As I was shuffling my things around to make it more orderly, I noticed a tiny folded piece of paper in the corner of my locker. I reached in and took it out, my eyebrows scrunched together in interest.

At first, I just stared at the loose leaf paper, thinking whether or not I should unfold it. My curiosity getting the better of me, I opened it up with my pale fingers. I frowned slightly at the slanted scrawl written in pen.

Meet me at the janitor's closet on the first floor at 3:00. I need to talk to you.

-Jason

"And then I-" Ben stopped mid-sentence when he saw me frowning at the note.

Peering over my shoulder at it, I saw, through my peripheral vision, that he mouthing the words as his eyes glazed over the note. His lips formed into a thin line.

"Don't go," he said shortly, his brown eyes turned to slits.

I sighed in exasperation and stuffed the small note in the pocket of my dark jeans. Checking my watch, I cringed when I realized that it was already 2:56.