The Accidental Boyfriend Chapter 5

Zack’s POV

“You’re late,” Gracie immediately hisses at me as I meet her on the street corner opposite the restaurant. She would look quite menacing stood on the street corner furiously glaring at me if it weren’t for the fact that for some reason she is clutching her coat defensively around her. “Okay, chill out I’m here now,” I reply as I link my arm in hers the exact specific way Gracie briefed me last night over the phone. “Did you learn the notes?” she questions abruptly.

“Yeah I know your entire life story. It was quite an interesting read actually,” I retort sarcastically. Gracie shoots me a look which immediately stops my mocking. “Remember to smile,” Gracie whispers. “I am smiling,” I hiss back through the fakest smile which has ever graced my face. We march around the corner at quite a pace both seemingly desperate to have this over and done with. I push the door open with my hand whilst Gracie mutters a count down out of the corner of her cheesy grin. On three, (once again as briefed,) I fall into peels of laughter. “Is he looking?” Gracie asks disguised behind giggles as she pretends to be so hysterical she needs to lean on me for support. “Yeah,” I discreetly reply as I spot Dan’s eyes immediately flick over to us. Having said that, most people’s eyes have flicked over to the two weirdoes in ‘hysterics’ at the front of the room. “Can I take your coat Miss?” a waiter suddenly asks Gracie.

“Erm…,” she mumbles, immediately cutting out on the fake giggles and clutching onto the coat with renewed determination. “You know what I’m still a little chilly, I’ll just keep the coat,” she continues nervously. “Gracie what’s up with the coat?” I ask her in confusion.

“Huh?” she replies.

“You’ve been clinging onto it for dear life,” I continue.

“No I haven’t, I’m just cold,” she retorts indignantly.

“It’s August,” I inform her with a frown of confusion.

“It’s unseasonably cold,” she persists.

“What?” I question in amazement.

“Fine,” she snaps as she tears of her coat with determination. I stare at her incredulously.

“So what was the big deal with the coat?” I ask her.

“I just don’t feel comfortable in this dress,” Gracie replies as she begins fussing with the way it’s laying on her. I take a step back and survey her. “There’s nothing wrong with the dress,” I inform her. It’s the truth she actually looks pretty good in it. Well she would look good if she had a bit more confidence in herself and if she could just stop fussing. “I’m just not a dressing up type of person,” she explains.

“You were dressed up the night I met you,” I disagree.

“Yes and I felt extremely uncomfortable that night which is partly why I got so drunk which is what got me into this mess in the first place,” she elaborates.

“Gracie stop worrying everything will be fine… just, maybe lay off the alcohol,” I joke.

“Shut up,” she mutters before adorning another fake smile and heading off in the direction of the table Dan and little-miss-lip-gloss are sitting at.

As we approach the table Gracie takes such a sharp intake of breath that I can feel her move beside me. “Gracie chill,” I mutter discreetly.

“I am chilled,” she snaps back clearly the farthest from being chilled a person can possibly get. This can only end in disaster. As instructed when we reach the table I immediately pull out a chair for Gracie to sit on. I think Gracie is attempting to turn me into the perfect gentlemen. Dan smiles merrily and greets us in cheery tones. Gracie says hello in what can only be described as a squeak. I think it’s perfectly clear that the girl is definitely not ‘chilled.’ Chloe mutters hello from behind gritted teeth clearly not too happy about going out for a meal with her boyfriend’s ex. I stare around the table; this is without a doubt the most awkward situation I have ever been in. You can just tell this meal is going to be quite an interesting event. I awkwardly tag my hello on the end and then the table sinks into silence. “Where’s the waiter. We should get you two some drinks,” Dan laughs uncomfortably and the conversation doesn’t get much better from there.