19

"You ready for your pride to be as sore as you will be?" I challenged stepping up to the mat.

"Anna are you sure this is a good idea? I don't want to hurt you." Steve cautioned hestiantly putting a foot on the mat.

"Steve come on. You said you wanted back into the field, you have to be trained again. I'm not letting you run into gun fire blindly." Steve was still under the impression that the 21st century fought the same as the 20th century did. It doesn't. This century is all about being smarter, faster, stronger. It's about besting your opponent before you even see them. But it's also about being able to efficiently put someone down and move on the next one. There are no more rules, or practices. It's just about survivng.

"Anna you're still at least 100 pounds lighter than I am and a good 4 or 5 inches shorter ."

"Hey, height and weight isn't important. I can still kick you five ways from Sunday. I'm a super soldier, kinda, and you're one. So let's do this."

"Okay" he mumbled "Let me know if I hurt you."

"Same. Okay put your hands up like this. This is typically a good stance to block someone in case they come at you first." I instructed Steve moving his arms to block his face. His fists were about six inches to a foot away from his face and his legs were fermly planted on the ground. He looked unsure when I gave a small smile.

"Ready?" I asked he gives a hestiant nod and a wince.

"Try to get a hit in okay." I told him before throwing my first kick. I kicked him in his side which he quickly blocked. I then went for a punch in the stomach which he also blocked. When he was concerned with blocking my punches, I ducked and kicked his legs from under him. He landed on the mat with a slam and he looked up at me almost dazed.

"Best three out of five?" I asked and he smiled and from that smile I know I had him hooked. There was that fire behind his eyes, his desire to win and beat his bully. He was ready now.

"Let's kick it up a knotch." I told him getting into postion. He matched my position and this time he came at me first. Steve went for a square punch in the face, bold. I ducked and caught his arm from behind twisting it. Steve used his strength against me and freed himself. I swiped my arm looking to slam him in his chest. He caught it. I twisted his other arm awkwardly and he released me. I tried to quickly kick his legs under again. But he learned the move quickly. He's always been a quick learner. He grabbed my leg. I flipped out of his grasp. He was caught of guard. I ran and jumped on his shoulders trapping him between my thighs. I flipped him around and bring the gentle giant down. Natasha taught me the trick.

"Where'd ya learn a move like that?" Steve said shaking his head. He was a little bit taken back but also really impressed. He smiled widely taking a hand I had offered him.

"A friend of mine"

"Okay last one, I'm going to win." I gloated getting ready.

"Hey, I'm a quick learner."

"Yeah you are, but I'm the teacher." I boasted and Steve just laughed a little before getting ready. He was determined this time more than last, but I knew I had this down.

He waited for me to make the first move this time. I went for a punch on the side for a distraction. My other fist punched him on the other side. He pleasently blocked both. I kept going. I kept alternating and every now and then, I kicked him which he ducked. I kept pushing him backward, backing him into a corner. He was busy trying to make a pattern of my movements. Then I had him by the arm. I flipped him over me.

"Well you lasted two minutes on that one, better than your other two." I told him looking down as he sat up scratching his head.

"Best four out of seven?" He offered making me burst out laughing. His smile was genuine as I helped him up. It's all the more reason to keep sparing with him than go to then meeting I promised to go too.