11

“Did you get the food?”

“Yup,” Liam dropped the bulging bag of Nandos to the kitchen table and glanced around for his best friend. “Where are you?”

“Living room.”

Liam followed Harry’s voice and found the curly haired teen sitting crossed legged in the middle of the room in nothing more than a pair of black boxers.

“What are you doing?” Liam laughed and held out a hand to pull him up.

“I need your help picking out something to wear,” Harry muttered.

“Chinos and a blazer,” Liam’s response was automatic. “Just like I told you yesterday when you asked what you should wear.”

“Oh right,” Harry ran his hand through his silky curls. “Sorry I forgot.”

“It’s all right to be nervous,” Liam glanced down at his watch. Niall would be here in twenty minutes. “It’s your first ever first month anniversary. I know you want it to be special.”

“Want to know what my present is?” Harry nibbled on his lip nervously and Liam nodded. Harry had been working on the perfect present for a week now and he had been doing it in complete secrecy. Liam was dying to know.

“Here,” Harry held out a rumpled piece of notebook paper that Liam hadn’t even noticed curled up in his hand all this time.

He smoothed it out and was surprised to see not a drawing, but a page full of words. Harry never used words to express his feelings. He always used art.

“What is this?” Liam hadn’t even bothered to read it yet, too shocked over this change in character.

Harry shrugged, “I use art too much. It’s too easy. I wanted to tell him how I felt this way, so he knows he really means something to me. So he knows how much effort I put in to making it perfect.”

“He’ll love it,” Liam reached out and ruffled Harry’s hair playfully, grinning at his best friend. The green eyed lad had been a lot more talkative lately and a bit less hesitant in, well, everything. Liam had to admit, Niall had been good for him. His carefree nature had rubbed off on Harry just enough to make the younger boy fun to be around. Harry’s attention had even stopped wandering as of late. He sat through meals without fidgeting and had even watched Avatar, curled up on the couch with Niall tucked safely in his arms. Liam couldn’t remember his friend ever actually watching a movie all the way through, especially not one as long as Avatar. But having Niall around seemed to calm him and make him content with where he was. Liam did have to admit, when Niall was nowhere to been seen, Harry did revert in on himself and his attention span grew short. But luckily, Niall was never more than an arm’s length away from his boyfriend’s side.

“Aren’t you gonna read it?” Harry tapped the paper with a long finger. “You read, I’ll get dressed. Tell me if it’s all right.”

“Will do,” Liam dropped down on the couch and began to read, squinting as he took in Harry’s rushed, slanted handwriting. It seemed that all his emotions at flowed out at once and his hand couldn’t keep up with his brain. Liam smiled a bit at the thought of his friend bent over the worn piece of paper, tongue poking out of his lips and curls falling in his eyes as he impatiently brushed them away. He got like that when he was really into a drawing.

I like your eyes and the way they sparkle just a little bit when you see me, like a firecracker was lit in the depths of the sea and is making its way to the surface with a bang.

I like the secret smile you only share with me, the really soft one that makes the tiny dimple in your left cheek pop out.

I like that even when you pretend you aren’t embarrassed the flush in your cheeks gives you away anyway. I know you like to say it’s because you’re pale, but I know it’s because of something I’ve done.