It's a Girl!

Sierra was standing in the kitchen. Sweat was pouring down her face into the sink. She was so nervous for absolutely no reason. Her self-medication of marijuana and other various drugs was starting to get to her. She couldn't take it anymore but it wasn't the first time she felt like that. Believe it or not, she was quite used to it.

Her child, Spencer, was sitting on the rug in front of her. Her counters were edged off of the wall, looking into the attached dining room. Spencer was playing with a toy he had gotten for his birthday. He had no toys from Sierra because she never thought that a child would want a toy.

Her other child, Monica, was sitting behind her. She was backed up to the wall. She was too young to even walk. She was crying for something, but Sierra had no idea what.

Sierra listened to that crying for so long. Ever since Monica was born. It wasn't too long ago, but she couldn't take so much stress in one day. Her self-medication was the only thing she could rely on, and that's how she thought it would be. In contradiction, she knew that she had to destroy the source of the pain. The source of the pain radiated off of Monica.

Monica began to cry, but louder. The sound penetrated Sierra's ears. Why hadn't Spencer been crying so much all this time?

Looking down, Sierra saw that the water was still running. She flicked it off and ran into the other room where she could be alone. Spencer stood up and began to follow her, leaving Monica in the kitchen all by herself.

Sierra felt love in Spencer. Her husband had been dead set on having a male child, and that's what he got - but they didn't expect a second pregnancy. To top it all off it had to be a female. Her husband, Alec, had been disappointed from day one that they knew she had been pregnant. He liked to refer to her as 'slut' and whatnot, but she didn't really care. She felt the same way about herself because that's what she thought she had to be to make him happy.

THUMP!

Sierra heard something in the kitchen. She ran in there as fast as she could. Nothing had moved, but Monica was crying. Sierra guessed that Monica tried to stand up but fell. That happened quite a bit and she was used to it by now.

Still not thinking to pick her up, Sierra was still stressed out. Looking out the window, she saw the beautiful country she lived in, but she had no desire to leave the house at all. She was used to being stuck in the house, while Alec left. Sometimes he didn't even go to work, but she never knew what he did. He didn't know that Sierra knew about his schemes, actually.

Monica would not shut up! She kept crying, crying, crying. Sierra began to curse at her. She was for sure that Monica was the source of all the pain in her. She wanted to dispose of the reasoning, and that was what she had planned to do.

Sierra walked into the bathroom, with no clue where Spencer was. Although, Spencer wasn't the focus now.

Sierra sat on the bathtub. Not in - on. She grabbed the H on the shower handle, and switched it on, doing the same for the C. She hoped it would be an even temperature, but if it weren't - then oh well. This wasn't her bath time.

She threw some toy blocks in there, along with a yellow rubber duck. Cliché, yes, but it was necessary.

When the water came up farther than it usually should, Sierra went and grabbed Monica. At the time she had no idea what she was capable of - and even then she had no idea what she was going to do.

Sierra slowly placed Monica into the bathtub. Slowly, but surely. The duck began to flop from side to side in the waves of the water. With Monica sitting up, the water came to about her neck. 

She walked out of the room and shut the door. She went back into the living room where she found Spencer sitting in the floor. She grabbed him and slowly set him in her lap. She was sitting on the couch with Spencer ready to fall asleep in her arms.

Then, she heard screaming in the bathtub. She heard water splashing, but she was not going to get up. She was going to sit right there.

Spencer began to move around. He was uncomfortable. He was used to Monica crying - but not THAT loud. 

She placed him back onto the floor and dramatically stepped into the bathroom. Monica was sinking to the bottom. She started floating back to the top. Sierra ran to her side and pushed her to the bottom. She began to move her arms around.

Then, Monica did what no one would suspect - she opened her eyes, underwater, and looked up at Sierra. She made an O with her mouth. Her eyes began to shut, and her mouth began to close. Sierra let go, happy of what she did. The last thing Monica saw was the devil in Sierra's eyes. Monica knew that it's not that her mother had done nothing wrong, it's that she could do all the wrong she wanted, and it would be okay.

Spencer began to sob in the background, but it was nowhere near as bad as Monica's. When the rubber duck stopped moving around and the water began to calm, Sierra smiled and ran to play with Spencer.

Sierra didn't care.