Dante

August 23rd, 79 A.D.

6:54 a.m.

The aroma of freshly baked bread and pastries plus the red blinding glare over my eyelids tingled my senses and made me open my eyes. Sunlight peeked through the hole in the stone wall and smiled at me. I groaned and shielded my eyes from the raging glow, stumbling as I fell back onto the cot.

Mama called out from the bakery storefront, which concealed our ramshackle home. "Dante, mi! Can you help me watch the shop? I need to borrow some ingredients from Marina's family. I'll be back before you know it."

"Yes Mama!"

I scrambled to put on a fresh tunic just before Mama sauntered in and kissed my cheek. "Dante te amo."

"Love you too, Mama."

With that, she left for the Grocer's and I for the storefront.

"Salve, how may I help y-," My eyes flickered up and saw the last person I'd expected to see at the counter. His slate orbs bored into my amber ones; Ice against ice. I cursed mentally and balled my fists.

It was my nemesis, Alessandro.

"Well now," Alessandro sneered. "What do we have here, mama's boy?"

I sucked in a breath and closed my eyes. When I opened them, I found the same idiotic face looking back at me. With his unruly black hair and strange slate blue eyes, Alessandro somewhat resembles a troll. If trolls come in the form of eighteen-year-old boys, that is.

I sighed. "What do you want?" It wasn't really a question at all; more like a statement.

"I want a pastry." He blinked.

I narrowed my eyes and reluctantly got him a spira in silence.

Alessandro tossed a coin onto the counter and chomped on his pastry. We both watched it bounce off the counter and onto the ground. Several tense seconds passed before the troll held up his index finger.

"Just a friendly reminder," Spittle landed on my face; disgusting. "That Marina's birthdate is today. Did you get her anything? Oh right, I apologize. I suppose you really can't afford anything; my bad."

I suddenly had the urge to wipe that smirk right off the imbecile's face. Before I knew it, my fist was in Alessandro's face, knocking him clean to the ground, spira and all. A crack was heard and then blood started spurting from Alessandro's nose. The fire in his eyes matched the fire in my throat as he had me by the neck a split second later. My feet lifted and I was flipped over the counter, my face slamming into the stone. Bread and pastries scattered about, some landing in puddles of blood. I managed to roll over my shoulder and sweep Alessandro's feet with difficulty. We were both on the ground now, but he had the upper hand. His fists pounded my face like it was a drum, with a steady rhythm no one could match. With one last burst of energy, I kneed him square in the crotch. He doubled over and let out a moan, landing on top of me. The air rushed out of me and my view of the ceiling went black.