Prologue

August 22nd, 79 A.D.

8:39 p.m.

Nightlife in Marcellum was in full swing. The sun had just set but indigo ink slowly bled through the sky, coating the golden hue on the canvas completely. The marketplace still hummed with life even at this late time. But out of all the residents roaming about the plaza, only one person stood out. It was an adolescent boy, a young man perhaps. He had overgrown wavy mahogany hair that shone crimson in the late sunset and was dressed in a frayed beige tunic. He wasn't an ordinary troublesome boy who would violate rules and sneak out after dark. No, he actually had a purpose. Knowing him, he always had a purpose for everything he did. It was amusing really, how a young man with a heart like his could still stay intact after many attempts at being broken by his nemesis. Of course, the boy would always push it into the back of his mind and carry on. But he didn't realize that it would mean everything to him. Yet.

Now, the boy blindly burst out of carpenter's workshop while breathlessly thanking master carpenter Bruno in his husky voice for making him an official apprentice.

But the renowned carpenter merely chuckled, his green eyes gleaming. "Quite the contrary, puerum mihi." Even so, the youth thanked him once more before vanishing in the throng of residents.

He then let out a shout of triumph and grinned. "Mama would be ever so pleased with me."

He'd been absentminded when he breezed by all the other shops but as he was about to pass the Grocer's on his way home, a petite silhouette with a candle in hand hidden in the narrow alleyway caught his eye. The boy lingered and stopped short. Then he slowly peered around the brick wall.

It was her – Marina. With her dark tresses shadowing her elegant face, the maiden gingerly fed bread to a frail trembling elderly woman in rags far worse than boy's himself. A slave, he gasped. As she shivered some more, Marina draped a thick shawl over her bony shoulders and led her inside by the hand, all while soothing the poor drudge woman with every step.

Now the young man stepped back, somewhat astounded by what he'd seen. He'd gotten used to her kind nature after all those years living next door and playing as children but it still melted his heart every time she did something for the greater good.

The youth suddenly cursed under his breath. For tomorrow she shall turn seventeen and he had absurdly forgotten.

That's right! I must get her a gift, he thought.

Frantically, the youth rummaged through the folds of his tunic, searching for at least one precious coin. He came up empty-handed.

Deflated, he sank down to the stone curb and ran a hand through his russet hair, spiking it up even more. Locals pass by without much of a glance in the boy's direction. His thoughts wavered but eventually settled on Marina. All he wanted was for her to love him, for who he was, not some immoral dunce like, well, his nemesis for one.

The youth puffed out his cheeks, letting the air whoosh out of him then suddenly jolted upright and smacked his forehead in disbelief. "That's it! I'll be true to my feelings for her! After all these years –," The young man paced about, oblivious to the patrons drifting by, "- I'll finally get a chance. If Marina returns my passion, I'll be the most fortunate person who'd ever set foot! But if she doesn't...," he released the breath that he'd been absentmindedly holding and shook his head.

"It doesn't matter." the young man told himself, "It's now or never to be true to my word." The corner of his lips quirked up into a half smile, sooner or late expanding into a full-watt grin.

With a single spark of hope alive deep within to keep him going, Dante cheerfully strolled back to his home on the edge of the Marcellum marketplace in the city of Pompeii, Italy. His paramour's name etched into his mind, relighting that spark for infinity and beyond.