ten

"Oh my god," Lydia cried into Jackson's shoulder.

The doors into the classroom were rattling insanely, and the top chairs from our stack were crashing violently to the ground. The beast was going to break in eventually, and I didn't want to be there when it did.

"What do we do," I breathed, inaudible to the majority of the group but clear to Stiles. His hand still held the side of my body protectively, and I could hear his heavy breathing behind me.

"The kitchen," he said quickly. "The door out of the kitchen leads to the stairwell."

"Which only goes up," Scott complained from the side. I turned my head to notice Allison was clinging onto him, burying her face in his jacket. The couple was standing next to Lydia and Jackson, who were also gripping each other for comfort. That's when I noticed that Stiles and I fit the same mold, looking like a romantic duo the way I was glued to his side.

"Up is better than here," Stiles stated.

The moment his words sunk in, we were all turning frantically to the kitchen doors at the back of the room. Stiles' hand left my waist in the disarray, but he looked back frequently to make sure I was keeping up.

I thanked the years of athletic conditioning for archery and gymnastics that had melded my strong legs, as well as the choice I made earlier that morning to wear sneakers, because all of our sprinting was taking a toll on the group and even I was gasping for breath.

My feet pounded up the cement stairwell, as Allison grabbed at my hand frantically, not wanting to lose me in the commotion. Meanwhile, I reached back to take Lydia's hand with my free one, pulling her along with me as she did her best to run in her skirt and heeled boots. She squeezed my hand back, gratefully, and picked up the pace.

Stiles led the pack, as the group of us burst through doorways and down the dark corridor, trying to find an available hideaway.

Once we made it, red faced and panting, into an open classroom,  Scott slammed the door shut and jammed a stool under the handle. I tugged Lydia and my sister closer to me while glancing at our new surroundings. I recognized the high tables, the towering shelves and miscellaneous lab material as the inside to the Chemistry classroom.

Our heavy breathing filled the room, as I focused on my timing like how Stiles was leading me earlier. None of us dared to speak for a second, waiting for the worst to come bursting through the door at any moment.

A terrifying growling sound seeped into the classroom, causing Allison to whimper beside me, Lydia clapping her hand over her mouth in fear. The image of a shadowed silhouette followed, revealing itself in the small window on the door. I clenched my eyes shut, lying to myself that everything was okay, that the small stool Scott had propped up was enough protection and the beast couldn't hurt us.

Allison's grip on my hand loosened slightly and I opened my eyes again to see everyone visually deflate. To our disbelief, the shadow had passed by the door without trying to come inside, and it appeared as though our hiding place was safe for now.

"Jackson, how many people can fit in your car?" Scott whispered quickly.

Jackson's eyes widened and he began nodding rapidly, as though his minuscule sports car was a transit bus.

"Five, if someone squeezes on someone's lap."

"Five? Are you kidding?" Allison hissed in disbelief. 

I rolled my eyes at Jackson's fantasy. "I was already practically on Allison's lap in the back with just the two of us."

"It doesn't matter," Stiles said firmly. "There's no getting out without drawing attention."