Chapter 4

The spirit of the Wolf resides in my heart,

Mostly peaceful, yet ever wild,

Running in time to the blowing wind,

Dancing in the clouds that drift the the Heavens - Unknown

We drove in silence. The only noise that registered in my ears was the soft hum of the engine, and it slight hiccup when it passed over a rock. Out of the corner of one eye, I could see Nightshade glancing at me every few seconds as I looked out of the dirt caked window and saw all of our surrounding. Like the rest of Toten, it was relatively bare.

My mind was racing as I thought about my pack, the only six people I truly trusted. They were my family, the one who had stood by me through all the pain and suffering. In my deep thoughts I could see Jago, with Pentra and the others in toe. He was a strong leader with a soft heart. My contemplation on Jago sent my mind spinning in a different direction, to the inferno in the forest.

I could smell the charred wood again and feel the hot blaze against my fur. The flames flickered in his dark hazel eyes, a reflection of the terror that surrounded us. Everything was so real at that moment, like I was back in the flames.

Waiting the be consumed.

The embers reached for me, bending the tall tendrils of smoke through my fur and around my neck. Then the smoke shifted, into ashen hands that clasped my throat. All at once I was choking and losing consciousness again. My vision grew hazy, as I cried out for Jago to help me.

Jago leaped from his frozen position and darted among the blazing trees, attempting to answer my call of rescue. He was panting, barely able to breath. Flares caught onto Jagos brown pelt, but he did not stop to put them out. My knees were giving out and making my back tip forward, like a newborn lamb on unsteady legs.

I cried out once again, but it came out as barely a whisper. Not even that. A memory of a whisper. Black spots filled my vision, as Jago was swallowed into a sea of flames that raged forward, begging for something else to destroy. The fire roared, spreading out like the wings of a bird.

Its only destination, the last thing that remained alive

Me.

Yet through the chaos, there was calm. Time seemed to slow, the searing blaze that moved with such high speed was slow now. A luminous glow spread across my frames, It made me feel strong again. The moon was in full view through the flames. It was shinning, brighter then I had ever seen before. It was low tonight and sat just below above a hill, making it look as if the ground was actually touching the moon surface.

Such a welcoming aura drifted around it. On shaky legs, I pulled myself towards it. Suddenly, a shape emerged from exterior, it appeared to be walking out from the moon and onto the bare hilltop. The shape resembled a wolf, though I wasn't quite sure. I pushed my battered body to move closer.

Soon, I reached the hilltop. A wolf stood eye to eye with me. It was a lucid silver that seemed to glow. Though its expression was kind, I wondered if this stranger would hurt me. A memory hit me all at once, something that the elders had told me. The very depiction of the moon itself will come in the form of a luminous silver wolf and will guild the chosen moonwalker amongst their path.

The wolf suddenly spoke, a soft and musical voice.

"Silvah."

I was suddenly jerked from my hallucination. Nightshade was looking at me, concern clouding his eyes and forming a crease on his smooth forehead. He looked a little spooked. I pulled my heavy head off the window pane and blinked a few times to adjust to the harsh light.