She's Not Afraid: A Liam Payne Fanfic

Chapter 1

"Azzy, let's go!" I chuckled to myself. if there's one thing I can tell you about my relationship with my best friend its that we're complete opposites. She's punctual, I'm late. That's how the story goes.

"What's the rush?" I yelled back, lacing up my hi-tops. "Don't even go there! You know exactly what my rush is! If we don't pick up Matt now he's going to be late for his game!"

Matt is her superstar boyfriend. He's tall, handsome, athletic, and a total gentleman. He's a starter for his college rugby team. He's a scum? or something like that. I never cared.

"Don't worry Mickey Kay we'll get there... eventually" I heard her huff a breath as I grabbed my phone, wallet, and keys and set out for the door.

Mickey Kay followed behind to the car. I could tell she was frustrated with me. I ran to the driver seat hopped in and locked the doors right before she went to open it. "Azzy! Unlock the freaking doors!" she screamed. I flashed a devious smile, "How about a smile?" She felt out the moment and decided just to give in and crack the slightest grin she could muster. I unlocked the doors and she scrambled in. "You should smile more often. It suits you," I said. She said nothing, but in turn flicked me in the forehead.

I sped off towards our next destination. It was a fifteen minute drive to Matt's house and although I'm not one for silence I could tell Mickey Kay wasn't peeping anytime soon. So I turned on my radio plugged my phone in and hit play. As soon as I heard the drum kick my heart began to beat with the rhythm.

'I've never seen a diamond in the flesh,

I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies,

and I'm not proud of my address,

in the torn up town, no postcode envy'

I bobbed my head to the heavy set beat.

As we pulled up to the oh so familiar building Matt was already outside, bags packed and game face on. I rolled down my window and Mickey Kay hopped out and flew into his arms. I rolled my eyes and turned up the music, not paying attention to the love birds. I don't date, not anymore.

I heard a tap from the back of the car. I pulled the lever to release the trunk so Matt could put his bags in the back. After they hopped in and buckled I took off to our final point.

We arrived at the field not even five minutes later. I think it actually took longer to park than it did to get there. "I hate this car!" I growled gripping the steering wheel way too tightly. "Are you kidding?! You drive a freaking Suburban!" I glared back at Matt before turning off the engine. "I do drive a suburban. But it takes too long to find a spot for such a hefty piece of metal."

I exited the car and helped Matt grab his bags. We walked to the team area and already I could feel eyes on me from every direction.

This is going to sound cocky but I'm "hot." My bronzed skin is smooth and reflects gold specks of sunlight. I have long dark curly hair with the occasional strand of honey here and there. My features are soft, my lips plump and pouty, and my eyebrows dark and angled. My eyes are brown but they turn liquid gold in the summer from the sun.

But its not just my natural physique that gets guys going. I'm wild and care free. I'm different from most girls because I'm independent and I don't need anyone to lean on. I'm not emotionless but I'm not dramatic either. If you like me, I like you. If you don't like me, unless you give me any reason not to, chances are I still like you. The only thing that turns guys off from me is the bite me vibe I strongly put out there... on purpose of course.

But enough about me, back to the story.

Matt was now warming up with the team ; Mickey Kay and I were finding a spot in the bleachers on the home side of the field. The game began and so did the squeals. Every time Matt gets pushed, knocked down, or hit Mickey Kay screams and grabs hold of my arm, afraid for her boyfriends dear life. Its really highly

annoying, but as her best friend its my job to put up with this crap. even though I don't have much, she always does the same for me.

After the game, we lost, I walked Mickey Kay over to Matt. She started to comfort him and get cuddly so that was my cue to leave. " I'm gonna go get some skittles," I announced. I trudged over to the snack shack, 'God I can't wait to be out of here' I thought to myself. I ordered my fruity candy and handed the lady a ten. She started to shuffle around bills to find me some change but I just told her to not worry about it and consider a donation. She smiled and thanked me as I walked away.

I scanned the field for Mickey Kay and Matt but I couldn't find them. I shrugged whatever and decided to relax and eat my Skittles before leaving. As I sat on the bench near the shack eating, I thought deeply.

I wonder if things could be different. I noticed a guy checking me out, and still felt no interest in talking to him. Will I ever feel that way again? Even if I did, would it last or would it just be a repeat of when I was with-

I shuttered at the thought. I snapped the rubber band on my wrist. The small surge of pin was just enough to get my mind off of what I was thinking about.

Just then Case and Mickey Kay came up to me. "So Matt's friend Jonny is having a bonfire tonight at the beach. We're going, you want to meet up there?" she asked. "uhh I think I'll pass," I replied. She told Matt to go over with the guys for a second. "Are you gonna go see him?"p she questioned. I nodded my head wordlessly. She okay'd me with a head nod and said goodbye.

Once she left I walked back to the car. I started it up, only I forgot how loud I had had the stereo on before I turned the car off when we got here. The speakers blasted in my ears. "AAAAGHHH" I reached for the dial and turned it way down. God I hate this car. Then I drove off.