Chapter Four

After Clarence left the room, Ember took a deep breath. She'd finally said it, she didn't want to leave. Ever. For the first time in her life, she felt safe and cared for. She hadn't been around for even twenty-four hours, but she could only imagine that this is what 'home' felt like.

Her thoughts turned then to her savior. What a strange and interesting man he was! A drug dealer who wasn't apt to help people had literally carried her into his private life and had not only fed her and bathed her, but had given some of his stock to take away her pain and spent an incredible amount of money on her for clothes and comfort! She'd never met anyone before she left her parents' lab and still didn't know really anyone, but she felt different around him. From what she'd seen on television, she guessed it must be love. Could he possibly have the same feelings? A handsome, worldly, experienced man like him?

Unable to come up with any answers, she decided to try to think of something else. She looked at all of the bags they'd brought back with them, strewn haphazardly around the living room. Warily, she slid off of the couch and onto the floor, grabbing one of the bags and pulling it to her. He'd bought too much. She could never repay him.

She pulled out a bottle and looked it over. She knew what perfume was from TV, but she'd never seen or smelled it in person. The label said 'Lilac', and showed a picture of a beautiful flower. Following what she saw on the movies, she pulled the cap off and misted some of the liquid onto her wrists. It smelled even better than she imagined.

Crawling on her knees and going from bag to bag, she searched until she found what she was looking for: a black short-sleeved dress with rich purple flowers. Standing up, she held it up against her. It just touched her knees and had a modest neckline.

Hesitantly, she pulled her hair band out of her hair, letting it cascade down around her shoulders Turning, she looked at her reflection in the TV screen. She barely recognized herself.

"That will look beautiful on you," a voice said from behind her.

She gasped and turned.

Clarence was standing in the doorway to the hallway. He was dressed for his job, makeup and all. As she kept staring at him, he put his arms out. "How do I look?" he asked, smirking.

"Like a completely different person," she finally whispered.

"I have to be. If I wasn't, I'd be dead by now." He dropped his arms to his side. "What's wrong, little girl?"

"Overwhelmed, I suppose." She never took her eyes off of him. "Just used to Clarence, not GraveRobber."

He slowly sauntered over, his makeup giving him the feeling of power he'd grown to love. He stopped in front of her, his face inches from hers. "But Graves wouldn't have a problem showing you how to really be free. Clarence, on the other hand..."

"He what?" she whispered, curious yet nervous.

"He knows better," he said, moving away. Luckily, his senses had come back before he had done something unforgivable. Putting oh his makeup had always allowed him to at how he wanted and to ask or take whatever he wished. It had become so automatic from being alone for so long.

But he wasn't alone anymore. He had someone to take care of. And it just so happened, that she was the one he was wanting. He couldn't have her. She knew nothing of life outside her psychotic parents' lab, and she deserved something better than a devil of a drug dealer.

A small hand touched his arm. "GraveRobber saved my life, and Clarence has made it better than I could have ever imagined. And there is no way I can ever repay either of them." She had moved next to him and stood there, looking up at him with her big doe eyes.

He sighed and turned to face her. "I'm sorry, but I have to leave. Gotta g-"

"'Gotta go make money.' I know." She gave him a small smile and wrapped her arms around him. "I'll be alright."

"Of course you will. And I will try to hurry." His arms instinctively wrapped around her. He pulled away and looked down at her. "When I get home, we will bleach and dye your hair. Until then, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door for anyone Understand? I have a key and there's a spare hidden if I lose mine. I don't care what you hear or see. Promise me that you will NOT open the door!"

She gave a small nod. "I promise. I won't touch the door."

"Good. Well, I guess I better go or I'll be late." He attempted to break her hold and go to the door.

She held on until he stopped moving, and when he looked down to ask her what the matter was, quickly and very unsure of herself, she pressed her lips to his. Letting go, she took a step away and looked at the floor, a rose-colored blush spreading across her cheeks.

Knowing it would probably cause problems in the future, but that she would be devastated if he just walked away, he grabbed her waist and pulled her to him, kissing her back hungrily.

Releasing her, he walked to the door. "I'll be home as soon as I can. See you later."

She nodded, and he was gone.