Chapter Three: Distant Minds

I woke up this morning to have the events of last night come rushing back to me. It was so tremendous that I actually became dizzy. I took deep breaths before climbing out of bed, that way I wouldn't fall. I stood there on my soft shag carpet for a moment or two, debating if I should skip class today or not. But, I decided that I was going to go since I was already out of bed.

We didn't get home till late last night, so I didn't bother taking a shower. When I walked through the door, all I could see every time I closed my eyes was my bed. I flopped down, breathing in the lavender smell of my sheets. Neil wasn't there, so he was either later than he said he would be, or this was the first sign of him breaking up with me. Either way, I didn't care.

I eventually convinced myself to go take a much needed shower. After stripping I pulled on my bath robe, going to the bathroom and turning on the water. Mallory was still sleeping, meaning she was tired from last night. I'm used to no sleep, or little sleep, it was nothing new.

I took a quick shower and went back to my room. My phone started buzzing on my night stand. I sighed and picked it up, seeing Austin's contact. My heart fluttered a bit, my stupid heart. But I didn't answer it, instead I let it go to voicemail, then texted him that I would call him back. I wanted to get dressed first, because I needed to get to class in about an hour, and I didn't know how long I would be on the phone.

I pulled on a pair of under wear, accompanied by my favourite shorts. I wrapped my arms behind my back, fiddling with the clasps of my bra. After a moment or two of fighting to hook them together, they finally clicked. I blew out a sigh of relief and wrestled my arms through my white tank top, pulling my Guns N' Roses tank top over it. I released my hair from the towel, ruffling it with my fingers, trying to get it as dry as I could before brushing it out. When it felt damp I grabbed my brush, tugging it through my ratted brown strands. Since my hair was usually easy to work with, I fixed up my bangs a bit, and then left it wavy. I glanced into the mirror, deciding to put some make-up on. I swiped my applicator across my eyelids, giving them a light white base, brought out by the gray flare out. I took out my pencil, making medium thick lines on both my waterline and eyelid. I threw my make-up back into the drawer, shoving my feet into my low top converse, with that I was ready to head out the door.

I unplugged my phone from its charger, forcing it into my pocket. I walked out of my room and into the kitchen, grabbing my keys from the counter and my backpack from its perch by the front door. I was greeted with a warm spring breeze, and I let out whip through my hair. I trotted down the stairs, my backpack bouncing off my hip. I got in my car and pulled out my phone, deciding to talk to Austin before I arrived on campus. It rang less than three times before he answered.

"Well that took longer than I thought it would." He laughed, making fun of my timing.

"I told you I had school today. You called in the middle of me getting ready." I smirked, starting the car, leaving one hand on the wheel, one on my stick. I was craning my neck, cradling my phone on my shoulder, pressing it against my ear. "I never told you when I would call you back, I just said I would."

"Fine, I'll give you that." He sighed, taking a pause to introduce a new topic. "So can I have your address so I can hang out with you guys?"

"I don't see why you didn't just ask Mallory. You have her number too." I stated with a hint of a sour attitude. Why did he call me? Mallory is the one who is actually going to be home.

"I did, she didn't answer." He replied, I could just see his smirk through the phone, and I couldn't help but let my face blush. His smirk, though irritating because it always meant he won, was just as alluring as he was. "So I figured you were a better bet since you have school."