Open Waters

The sky had become a rich twilight as time had rolled passed. Jack hadn't moved from the Hull of the ship since you left port.

Since then you had met the rest of the crew. Mr Gibbs was kind, highly superstitious, but mostly kind. According to him, he 'thought it would be best if ya asked Jack where exactly you ought to be stayin'.

So you came up from below deck to find Jack. As soon as you came to the main deck you could hear Jack humming to himself.

"Drink up me hearties, yo ho" he hummed listlessly to the open waters.

As you reached the top of the deck, Jack noticed you.

"Y/n" he hummed your name in recognition.

"Jack" you reply smiling at is dazed and tired frame.

"Mr Gibbs said I should be looking to you as to where I'll be staying for my time on the Pearl?" You ask

He continued humming for a while before stating with a smile,

"Well where else but with me, love?"

You felt a burn in your cheeks of embaressment. He turned his head lazily to the side.

"You can't be wearing that either" he said with a nod at your dress.

You felt your face flush, apperantly even in this lighting he could tell as he let out a chuckle. There were two ways his comment could have gone, sexual or practical. You silently hoped it was the latter.

"Well i wasn't exactly planning on boarding a pirate ship and running away when i woke up this morning" you reply with a bit of a laugh.

He nodded and you both stayed in silence. God you hated how awkward this comversation was.

"Jack?" You asked after a second.

He hummed in response again,

"You do realize that the anchor is down don't you?" You ask him.

He laughed then turned to you,

"Love, its not weather or not the ship moves its weather or not the ship moves you" he says

Grasping you by your waist he positions you between him and the wheel.

"Wha-" you begin

"Do you hear them, the waves?" He asks taking your hands in his and placing them on the wheel.

You nod as the soft crash of the waves sings to you.

"Yes..." you say slowly.

Then you feel the wood on the wheel, smooth from previous hands. Your fingers find cracks from the old wood amoungst craved designs. Then you feel the rock of the ship beneath your feet. The sweet smell of the salt water rushes in with a small breeze.

"Oh" you say knowing exactly what Jack ment.

Standing here made the world around you seem almost invisible. It was like you were the very heart of the ship.

"It's... amazing" you say softly closing your eyes to take the sensation in.

You felt perfectly serene, and yet never more alive.

"Aye" Jack agrees.

Now you knew why he was so lost and distracted from your conversation. You remembered that Jack was behind you rather then jump away as normal you let yourself just lean back into him slightly.

It was so perfect and quiet here, it was almost cruel to have to feel it alone. So you decided to spend it with Jack. You start to hum taking up the rhythm he had been humming before you arrived.

He returned the tune back to you. And you both stayed that way for a while. Enjoying each other's company for those fleeting moments.

A/n

Happy New Year! Please give a like if your enjoying the story or a comment if you feel like it :) Toodles!