A Nasty Goodbye

The next morning brought a bleak outlook. The back of the NEST hanger was miraculously still intact, although it was a bit loud as it opened up immediately onto the runway, and it still stunk of burning oil. The small team there were frantically working away at their computers, talking in rushed voices through their headsets and scowling every time a plane went by. Mearing marched into hanger from her helicopter, tailed nervously by Sam.

"Is this really necessary?" he asked.

Mearing stopped and turned to face him, "Of course, I have underestimated you at every turn, you knew that Sentinel was the key, and that humans have been working for Decepticons, so we need your help."

Sam twitched and strained as he followed her deeper into the hanger, clutching at the watch on his wrist, turning red.

"You see Sam," said Mearing, "There is a large threat to national security and as the Director of national security, I have to do something about it – are you alright?"

Sam rolled across a desk and looked very strained indeed.

"I'm fine," he said,

"You're sweating." Mearing stated,

"Yeah, so?" he began talking very fast: "I'm nervous, I'm a blog junkie, addicted twitter tweeter, I catalogue everything, I can't help myself, it all goes on the internet,"

"You wouldn't dare," said Mearing coldly, but she let the subject drop.

Sam's right arm suddenly skimmed the head of the nearest worker, like he was scanning him.

"What are you doing?" asked the worker, puzzled.

"Nuthin', what're you doing?" Sam replied,

The worker's look of confusion turned fearful; "Get away from me!" he snapped.

Sam hurried to catch up with Mearing, "Where's my car, where are the Autobots and Ruby?"

Mearing didn't stop walking until the two of them were stood in front of a large screen, then she turned to him and said, "They are all off on separate missions, the streets are teeming with Decepticons. Something big is going on; we think they're planning something more awful. Now-" She tapped the screen and the picture flickered to life. Major Lennox looked back at them, "Hello?" he said, "Can you hear me?"

"Copy that, Major," said Mearing, "Updates?"

"It doesn't look good ma'am," said Lennox.

Mearing pursed her lips, "Details?"

Major Lennox ducked off the screen and reappeared with a stack of papers,
"Decepticon activity hasn't increased only here, but all over the world, we simply don't have enough men. I'm about to call the Autobots back in, we need a strategy."

"Very well," said Mearing coolly, "Keep me informed."

Major Lennox nodded and then the screen went blank.

Before Sam could ask, again, why he was there, Mearing's phone buzzed. She flipped it open inhumanely fast; "Yes?"

Her jaw dropped, then her eyes bulged, and she argued for a full ten minutes before closing the phone, defeated. Whatever had been agreed, it wasn't good.

"We're leaving," snapped Mearing, "Now. You too, Sam,"

Sam's pulse quickened, "What's wrong? Is someone hurt?" His thoughts jumped to Bumble Bee.

She refused to answer his questions, but strode purposefully back the way they had come, so that Sam had to jog to keep up. Instead of the helicopter, she led him straight up the steps and into a private jet.