Check-Up

Hey guys, just a quick royai fanfic thing, just two pages. ill upload the second one shortly :)

--------------------

Riza Hawkeye

I sat at the bar with my shoulders hunched, nursing an extremely potent vodka. I hadn’t bothered to change from my work clothes so I was still wearing my form fitting black top and trousers, both of which probably reeked of blood, sweat and dirt. I hadn’t felt comfortable enough to take off my gun holsters, though they were both empty. It was oddly comforting when my elbows brushed against the as I moved.

I downed my third vodka and tapped the counter, getting the attention of the bar man. He wasn’t too bad looking, all blonde hair and good looks but truth be told he wasn’t my type. I preferred a man with dark hair and eyes… broad shoulders… a cocky grin… someone like…

I cringed.

Just thinking that brought back the pain I had felt earlier that day when Lust had told me that Mustang was dead, the tight feeling that had gathered in my chest as the homunculus all but laughed at my bullets. Years gathered in the corner of my eyes as I thought of Mustang at the hospital. And Havoc too! It was my entire fault they had been wounded, as Mustangs lieutenant I should have stayed by his side, and protected his as is my job. Frowning I looked up at the bar man.

“I’ll pay now.” He nodded and smiled, ringing up my tab.

Outside I untied Black Haiatai and started down the street in the direction of my apartment. It was cold tonight and I felt goose-bumps rise along my arms. Looking down I noticed a smudge of red-brown blood that had dried on my wrist. I pushed down the sick feeling in my stomach and rubbed it off on my pants.

I frowned, choking back tears of guilt. I sat down on a bench I had just passed.

Black Haiatai whined and rested his head on my knee.

“Good boy.” I murmured, patting his head gently. He whimpered quietly, sensing my distress. I sighed. I couldn’t help but worry about Mustang; I had known him for so long! I looked around, consumed by the urge to make sure he was okay. A red telephone booth caught my eye.

“Hello, Central Military Hospital, Amy speaking.” I twirled the telephone cord around my finger.

“This is Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye. Could you put me through to Colonel Roy Mustang’s room please?”

There was the sound of computer keys being tapped on the other side of the phone.

“I’m sorry Lieutenant but only authorized personnel are allowed to contact the colonel’s room. Could I have your badge number please?” I frowned and pulled my military ID card out of my wallet.

“Alfa, omega, four, eight, zero, Charlie, nine, eight, zero.” Tapping again.

“I’m sorry miss but you aren’t on the list.” I frowned, shocked.

“I… What do you mean!? Never mind, could you just tell me how he’s doing?”

“Colonel Mustang is doing very well, his wounds have been cleaned and bound and he’s nearly eaten four meals in the few hours he’s been here.” I sighed, that sounded just like him.

“Thank you.” I murmured. I hung up and looked down at Black Haiatai, smiling slightly.