Chapter 1: Darcy

Chapter 1

Darcy's POV

"Darcy..." A soft voice rang in my ear.

"Darcy, get your lazy bum up..." And there it goes again.

"Darcy Thea Skyes, get up! It's your first day at your new school!" A hand roughly shook my body.

I guess my mum is my alarm clock this morning, but getting ready to go to a new school is the last thing I want to do right now. I groaned and buried my head deeper in my pillow.

I heard my mum sigh and while stomping her way back to my bedroom door, she said, "Don't make me get the water bucket!"

My eyes immediately shot open, and I quickly sat up and exclaimed, "Okay, OK! I'm up!"

When I looked over at my mum, a smirk was plastered on her face, and her arms were crossed. "Good," was all she said as she walked out of my room.

I groggily stood up and left the comfort of my bed, as I walked to the washroom connected to my room. After I started the shower, I stared at my boring grey-blue eyes in the mirror and sighed. I swiftly stripped off my pajamas and stepped into the now steaming shower.

Being under the hot water brings up so many flashbacks of my past. A past in which I'm not proud about.

~Flashback~

It was four years before Mum and I moved to our current location, Hell, Michigan. We were living in our old flat back in England. My father regularly returned home drunk, and that night, he was on a rampage, trying to destroy everything in sight. Mum ran upstairs to my room, where I was whimpering and looking at the door in fear. She cupped my face in her soft hands, and looked into my eyes.

"Honey, I want you to lock yourself in the washroom for me, okay? Pretend you're in the shower, and I promise that he will not touch a single brown hair on your head."

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes as I shakily asked, "But mummy, what about you?"

She shook her head, but then replied, "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine."

We both knew that she was lying, but I still involuntarily got up, walked to the washroom, and locked the door. Just as I turned the shower on, I heard a scream erupt from my bedroom. I covered my ears with my hands, trying to block out my mum's misery. I didn't bother taking off any of my clothes, I just stepped into the hot shower, and curled up into a ball on the floor. The hot water pelted me, and as more of my mum's screams slipped past my hands, my searing, never-ending tears were lost, washed down the drain.

~End Flashback~

I was only thirteen when that occurred, and from that day forward I swore to never hide again...

I was interrupted from my thoughts by the water slowly turning cold. I quickly grabbed my chocolate-mint scented 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner, and lathered it in my shoulder-blade length brunette hair.

After I successfully washed it all out, I turned off the shower and stepped out. I wrapped a towel around my body, and combed my fingers through my damp, brunette hair.

I opened my closet and picked out my striped orange and white blouse, along with my navy blue skinny jeans.

After I finished lacing up my matching orange converse, Mum popped her head into my room.

"Breakfast's ready, Darcy," She said with a heart-warming smile.

"Okay." I followed her out of my bedroom, and walked with her down the hallway until we made it into the kitchen.