Chapter Seven -- Golyn

"Oh, no!" cried Gabriel. "What's he doing here?"

"He looks to have been down here a long time," I said. I suddenly popped a cold blue washcloth into my hand. I turned over the small man. He was dressed in middle century clothes. He had white hair and a bear half as long as he was tall.

I gently mopped his brown and asked Gabriel where any water was. After I found a glass, he quickly led me to a rocky stream. I rinsed the glass and filled it to the rim.

Gabriel and I walked back through the tunnel. Back in the room, I ran to the small man. On the way there, I tripped over Gabriel and the water splashed right on the man's face!

"What?" The man sputtered. "What in the land are you doing here?"

"Trying to save you," Gabriel said. "You could at least be less harsh about it."

"Sorry," the man replied. "It's just that I haven't seen another living being in many years. I suppose no one would come looking for me if they never knew where I was. This is my secret study."

"Oh." I spoke with a dry mouth. "My name is Cricket, and this is Gabriel."

"Animals with human names and hmans with animal names. How queer. My name is Golyn."

"Pleased to meet you," I said. "But how did you get down here?"

"It's my workshop," Golyn replied. "I made it in this secret tunnel so I could have some privacy with my work."