Chapter III

{A/N: so I made another cover for this book because I saw this image and was literally freaking out because that is exactly how I pictured Spade (the joker's daughter). So I need votes :3  this cover or the original one?}

I jolt my head upwards from the damp pillow, with my eyes squinting at the sunlight that devoured the bedroom with it's annoyingly obvious brightness.

"Shit," I whisper under my breath.

I didn't have to look at the watch on my nightstand to see the time, because I knew I was at least four hours late for work.

I groan and roll to my side to see a message pop up on my phone screen with the name "Cherie Brenard" written in bold letters.

My boss.

I bite my lip and grab the phone, sliding my thumb on the smooth surface of the screen to see two clear words written in a mint green text bubble, "You're fired".

I throw my phone back on the nightstand and hit my body so hard on the mattress of my wooden bed, I hear it crack.

I close my eyes and think of a quick replacement for this job, but fail after a few minutes of endless thinking. Third time fired from a job this month, and still counting.

A loud crash came from down the hall followed by a muffled curse startled my thoughts. I quickly rub my puffy eyes and wobble my way to my door as I reached for the bat that stood behind my bedroom door.

I position the bat on my bare shoulder and begin to walk sideways down the narrow hall to my living room to find the window wide open.

My gaze trail down at the broken crystal vase I bought the other day; not to mention it costed me a fortune to get it. Thousands of sparkling shreds of glass scattered everywhere across the room, I glare up the figure that stood at the far end of the room like a frightened prey,

"I can explain," Alex raised both his hands in surrender with a terrified look on his face.

The son of Inque; mother of two, a bipolar human daughter and an obnoxious son, who also seems to be a shapeshifter.

His ocean blue transparent eyes widened in alarm, as he saw me tighten my grip on the bat I was holding. His black hair that had once been coiffured and held in place with musk scented gel was now untamable as dark streaks of hair stretched in wild directions.

I lower the bat to my side, "it better be a good explanation or I swear this vase won't be the only broken thing in this room"

He gulps them slowly nears closer to me, "I wouldn't have come here at this time if it wasn't urgent," his cool color changing eyes made me uneasy, something in them had a warning for what he was about to say.

"Damn it! just say it already-" I was interrupted when my apartment door forcefully swung open, definitely leaving a huge crack on the dark gray painted wall it hit.

I swung my bat up on my shoulder in position as I stared wide-eyed at the two tall bulked up men that wore black matching tuxedos at ten in the morning. Their square-shaped faces wore no expression, their pale skin so light I could see the faint blue-green veins that stretched under their skin, and their unusual jet black piercing eyes -including the sclera- stared right at me.

"Who are you?" I asked, my voice carrying a warning tone.

"There is no need to fear Miss Mort," one of the bald headed men asked.