Chapter Three - Remorse and Recompense

876 AD, HRAEFENGEAT (Ravensgate), WIGHTSHIRE, ENGLAND

Aelswyn paced back and forth in front of the giant hearth. She was waiting for her father to send for her, and the suspense was killing her. She had never seen her parents so upset, but then again, she had never done anything so outlandish and reckless afore. The disappointment in her mother’s eyes, and the fury that emanated from her father, hurt more than she could describe. She had been pacing her chambers for o’er an hour. Between flares of anger and moments of trepidation, Aelswyn was simply confused. They had never ordered her locked in her chambers ere now, but she had never seen them so angry afore, either. Her father had never frightened her afore, but she was scared of what he would do for the first time in her life.

What had seemed so harmless at the time; now appeared selfish and cruel to her. She hadna wanted to hurt him; she just didna want to be dismissed and deserted. He had stung her pride and hurt a tiny girl’s innocent heart. Gabriel seemed to have deserted her and she was internally alone for the first time in years.

Hanaar, her childhood nurse and current companion, and Graetel, her ladies’ maid, were hovering about, but it did nothing to alleviate her tension. They were as wound up as she. Graetel kept wringing her hands and sighing and Hanaar constantly clucked her tongue and shook her head.  They flitted so nervously about the room and their thoughts threatened to break through the barrier she had set that Aelswyn was forced to bite her own tongue to keep from screaming aloud her frustration. She wanted to pull her hair and stomp her feet like a child. He had ruined everything. ‘Twould have been better for her if Trystyn had forgotten her permanently.

The scrubbing she had received had been horrible. Never, afore, had she been so ashamed and humiliated. They had made her get into a barrel then burned her treasured outfit. She thanked the Godbearn that she had been at least allowed the privacy of a small shed. They scrubbed her with brushes until her skin felt raw and the smell took forever to leave. She sniffed the air now to make sure it was still gone as she recalled how many barrels it had taken until she was clean enough. Four, four barrels it took! Each time she had to change barrels, Hanaar and Graetel hid her behind a blanket while the menservants toted the heavy buckets and water was heated in a large iron pot o’er the fire just outside. She had had to climb out each time, slipping and sliding as she shivered in the evening cool. The floor of the stall was covered with puddles of water and mud and the rushes were clinging to their feet.  They had dressed her right there and were followed by the two guards that had been posted outside the little shack. They had been ordered to escort her to her chamber and make sure she stayed there.

She thought of Trystyn’s eyes ere he had pulled power from her. The crystal blue depths showed a momentary vision of his soul. The connection was beyond any physical plane. She could feel him drawing unconsciously on her power and then being shocked as the sparks reached his soul. Aelswyn had no’ expected him to jerk away from her. It felt like rejection all o’er again and she almost felt his falling was justified, but then she would see his prone body and feel a stab of guilt. It had been an awful long time. She was given no news and so could only anticipate the worst. E’en Gabriel stayed away and didna come to her when she pleaded in her mind.

Aelswyn was left with two skittishly cackling females. They were enough to drive her mad, and she could handle it no longer.

“Cease with your prattling, ladies! I canna stand another moment of it.” Graetel’s hand paused in midstroke. Her other hand still held the piece of Aelswyn’s fiery curls she was trying to smooth. “I canna think wi’ ye making so much noise.”