Chapter 6 | Listen Up

WARNING: THIS STORY WILL BE REMOVED ON WED MAY 10th! Why? I'm publishing the fully edited version of the novel on itunes and Amazon! Thank you all so much for your support. The book will be released next Saturday, May 13th and YOU can score your copy now for just .99 cents!

The links to pre-order will be on my website and my wattpad profile page

www.lanaskybooks.com

The support you guys have shown me has been AMAZING! You all rock! <3

Daniela

Something is wrong. It's been two days since his proposal, but Vinny's kept his distance. I've spent those days inside my room, playing until the callouses on my inner thumbs blister and bleed. It's a welcome reprieve, but the anticipation chills me more than the freedom from him gives me peace.

Time gives Vinny a chance to brood. A brooding Vinny is more likely to leave scars...like the kind I know will mar my backside for at least a month. The pain mingles with dread as I fidget on the seat of my vanity and eye the reflection that faces me. The woman in the mirror reveals none of Vinny's secrets. She's curious. Too many questions battle for supremacy in her eyes when a sudden knock rattles the door.

I'm shaking too badly to even call out a reply.

Is it him?

What does he what?

What will he say?

Do?

"I'll get it, Miss." My fiancé's absence is joined by Olga's. The morning after the proposal, a new companion shook me awake. I haven't bothered to learn her name and I can only pray that I never have to.

She's younger than Olga, and slender, with red hair that gleams as she crosses over to the door and pulls it open.

"Mr. Stacatto requests your presence, Miss," Gino says. His tone is flat, revealing nothing. "Eight o'clock tonight. He suggests that you wear the new dress."

"T-Thank..." My lips are too dry and it takes several swipes with my tongue before I can form a coherent response. "Thank you."

"Miss." He's gone, closing the door behind him, and it's a painful waiting game until night rolls around with all the finality of a tolling death bell.

The dress is silk. Lace adorns the sweeping neckline, and I'm alarmed to find that it plunges between my breasts, displaying a teasing V of cleavage. It's an upgrade from my usually demure wardrobe but it's not an improvement. Vinny only likes to show off the toys he knows are his. You are mine, Mi Bella.

"Your hair, Miss."

My new companion styles it expertly, pinning up the dark waves to display my neck. The illusion pays off. I seem whole despite my healing wounds, and the battle scars etched into my flesh beneath black silk. Vinny's chosen word haunts me. Nice.

"The car is waiting, Miss Manzano," Gino calls from the hallway.

I believe that all is well until I enter the hallway. There's only three men in the suite tonight—Vinny's taken the bulk of his detail with him, it seems. Their eyes chase me across the room, but on my way through the foyer, I catch sight of the Grandfather clock perched against the wall. The time is displayed in emblazoned numbers and I freeze in my tracks.

8:15

"It's late." Fear chokes me. I think I'm going to be sick, but even my churning stomach knows better than to ruin my new dress. Oh, God. Oh God. "C-Call him! Please." I turn to Gino and for a second I forget myself. My hand shoots out, seizing his collar. "Tell him! Please. It wasn't me. It's not my fault. I can't be late..."