Typical and Average No More

For most kids, high school meant growing up, going to parties, drinking, doing drugs, and all that other junk. For parents, it means finding out your daughter is pregnant, staying up late waiting for them to come home, and doing their children’s homework. For me, it means another 4 years of endless torture and agony.

My name’s Jason Davis. I am your typical average teenage boy. I have the brown hair, brown eyes, and I ride a skateboard. I’m perfectly normal you see. “Jace, your elf buddy is waiting for you downstairs.” My younger brother shouted from across the house. Okay, so maybe I’m not normal. Although I’m a freshman, I am only 5’2. Now I know what you’re going to say, oh it’s not that short, or you’ll grow, well I stopped hanging onto those dreams a long time ago.

I threw on some jeans and a t-shirt and walked downstairs to meet my friend Melissa. She was my ‘elf buddy’ as said by Mark. Everyone is an elf compared to that kid. I mean, he is 5 fricken 11.  Try to think of a comeback; try to think of a comeback “Go hit your head on a door”. Man, was that really the best I could come up with?

So anyways, I met Melissa downstairs. No, we are not going out or is she in love with Mark. We are just childhood friends that grew up with each other. She lives across the street from us. Melissa had short brown hair that reached her shoulders and brown eyes, a typical average teenage girl. She had her usual jean shorts and a tank top on. Boy we were both dressing real fancy for the first day of school. Even though it was hot outside, I grabbed a striped hoodie from the closet and threw it on. Go on ahead and say I’m weird, I’ve been called worse.

The bus ride was typical and average. Melissa mainly talked about how awesome Robert Pattinson was. What can I say, the girl loves Twilight. I got off the bus and began to head to my locker. “Hey midget, where do you think you’re going?” So it begins.

It started with a shove. I dropped my phone and fell into the lockers. Then it was a kick, and another shove, and a slap. I tried my best to cover my face and all vital organs, but it wasn’t working out as well as I hoped. From the distance I heard a loud sound. “Wakaka” For a moment, the jocks stopped and turned around. I looked passed them and saw a girl rushing straight towards them. Is that a Charmander stuffed toy?

“GO CHARMANDER USE QUICK ATTACK!” She threw her toy at them and got into a fighting position. “Oh no it’s not effective! Go Charmander use Flamethrower!” Still nothing happened. A small crowd surrounded us now. “Oh my gosh, Charmander is evolving and turning into Charmeleon! You guys are in for some trouble now.” By now the Jocks were getting bored and just decided to leave. Who was this freak? “The Pokémon fled, Victory! Good job Charmeleon.” She just picked up her toy and walked away. What just happened? If I knew one thing, she was not your typical average girl.

I picked myself off and walked the rest of the way to class. Who was that girl? Why does she have Pokémon in her backpack? So many questions.

I chose a seat and set all my stuff down. Who would be in my class this year? A few jocks, a slut, a nerd or two. Class starts and the teacher is doing roll call.

I heard a sudden boom on the door and everyone looked over. In the window was the girl from earlier. The teacher opened the door for her. Boy, was she a mess. Her hair earlier was really straight, but now it was windblown and covered in grass. Her outfit was weird enough before it became all dirty. She was wearing leggings, shorts, and an Assassin’s Creed Shirt; not what your typical average girl wears; not even to mention that she was about 5 inches taller than me and most of the other girls in class.

“Willow, you are to be sitting next to Jason Davis.” She just smiled idiotically and started coming over. “And If you are late to class one more time I won’t let you off with just a warning.”

She raised her hand and saluted the teacher “Rodger that M’am!” Right as she was about to sit down she looked me square in the eye and yelled “THE WILD JOLTEX!”

Yup, it’s not going to be a typical average year.